A faster way to eliminate chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane

Reaction score
Question here for those with experience or who know the chemistry. If it normally takes about 3 weeks in the fridge for chill haze to drop out at, say, 40 degrees, would the exact same beer clear up even faster sitting at a lower temperature (33 degrees)? Or would it take the same amount of time?

Yes, yes, I know there are ways to prevent chill haze in the first place. This is not my question.

Thanks in advance!

D

It's possible. Chill haze is due to the leftover proteins in the beer and essentially long cold storage (extended crashing basically) will force them out and into the cake/trub but how much faster I don't know. In reality it is best to use finings like Irish Moss in the boil to prevent the haze in the first place:) Personally, i really don't lose sleep over a little haze as it really has no effect on taste or aroma and after the beer is in the glass for a few it goes away anyway

My experience with chill haze has been one of the most inconsistent issues I've experienced. Most of the time a week in the fridge will take care of it. But some beers don't ever get crystal clear, even though the same base malt wort beer brewed earlier did. I use Whirlfloc in all my beers.

To the OP, I've had beers clear in a week at 45 or 32F. In my experience, once the temp is low enough to precipitate the chill haze proteins, any lower doesn't make a difference. But in principle you should store them as cold as possible.

This BYO story says many breweries combat chill haze by lowering the beer to -1C and filtering.

This is the "cold filtered" you see in BMC commercials.

Gelatin does a great job of removing chill have in 2-3 days. I've got a pretty detailed blog post on how to do it (and how it works) if you want to go that route.

Main thing is to be careful not to overheat, or you'll end up with a layer of beer-jello in the bottom of the keg, rather than clear beer. 1tsp of unflavoured gelatin is typically enough to clear a 5gal keg of beer in 2-3 days.

Bryan

Back