Cornelius keg cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I just scored some real nice cornelius kegs on Craig's List for $15 each. They held pressure when I picked them up, but I went ahead and replaced all the gaskets just to be sure. But these guys need a good cleaning. What's the best way to do that?

Agreed...oxyclean soak for at least a day.I even sometimes leave it to soak for several days, then I boil the posts and orings.....then a good rinse.... soak everything in starsan....then put it all together with a little keg lube on all the orings.I like to hook up my hose to the water heater for the rinse, it gives a nice hot rinse and it`s good for the water heater to drain it every once in a while.:mug:

Don't count on the soak. I just got three kegs on ebay that are dirty. Dried syrup takes scrubbing to get off. I soaked one keg in hot Oxy overnight and it didn't remove the syrup. You have to scrub the inside at least twice. If you can't reach the bottom with the scrub pad, use a broomstick. Get ALL of the syrup and black grime off or your brew will taste funny.

Also, if you have a single handle keg with a srew on handle, make sure you unscrew the handle and clean that too. I forgot about the handle on my 3 gallon keg and it was leaking CO2 after I filled it. That sucked. I transferred to a 5 gallon and dismantled the 3 gal handle and scrubbed it.

Latest posts

Back