Bottling for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I have not bottled before. Two questions:

1) how do you determine how much priming sugar?

2) how full should the bottles be?

1) Add 3/4 cup corn sugar, 2/3 cup cane sugar, or 1 1/4 cup DME per five gallons.

2) Fill each bottle to the top with your bottling wand, when you remove the wand, the correct headspace will be left regardless of 12 or 22 oz bottles.

If you have not bottled, how have you served your beer?

If you're bottling for a competition (assuming so because of your title)...and you're a kegger, there's no need to bottle condition beers just to enter them into a comp.

If you have not bottled, how have you served your beer?

If you're bottling for a competition (assuming so because of your title)...and you're a kegger, there's no need to bottle condition beers just to enter them into a comp.
After fermentation, I force carbonate in kegerator for about 1-2 weeks. Generally better head after two. What are you saying I should do?

I add priming sugar to the bottom of the keg, fill the keg and use CO2 to fill the bottles I need from the keg. I then let them bottle condition and allow the keg to condition out of the fridge. Works pretty good.
I use a picnic tap with the bottling wand jammed into the end.

After fermentation, I force carbonate in kegerator for about 1-2 weeks. Generally better head after two. What are you saying I should do?

He's saying after your beers are carbonated via keg...you can pour them into a bottle and cap. It's a good idea to leave the same amount of headspace as a normal bottle conditioned beer so that your bottle doesn't stand out in any way from the others. There's a post, possibly stickied if I remember right, called "We don't need no stinking beer gun".

Check it out.

Edit:

And how appropriate. It's actually BierMuncher's thread. Rock on dude.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

If they are already carbonated, you don't want to add additional priming sugar. There's a few ways to bottle from the keg:

1. Blichmann Beer Gun
2. Counter Pressure Filler
3. Biermuncher Bottle Picnic Tap Thing
4. Bowie Bottler (if you have Perlick taps)

Probably some more, but those are the ones I can think of.

He's saying after your beers are carbonated via keg...you can pour them into a bottle and cap. It's a good idea to leave the same amount of headspace as a normal bottle conditioned beer so that your bottle doesn't stand out in any way from the others. There's a post, possibly stickied if I remember right, called "We don't need no stinking beer gun".

Check it out.

Edit:

And how appropriate. It's actually BierMuncher's thread. Rock on dude.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Heh, heh...

What he said. I've bottled all my competition beers this way. Judges understand the nuances of bottle conditioned beers, but you'll score some extra brownie points if they can pour a crystal clear pale ale in the same fashion they would a commercial version.

Back