Denver County Fair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbieHowells

Reaction score
I am entering two beers, a Cream Ale and an Ordinary Bitter, into the homebrew competition at the Denver County Fair this year. This is my first competition, and I am hoping to get some good feedback. Did anyone here participate last year? If so, should I be expecting a BJCP-style score sheet, or is it less formal than that? And is anyone else participating this year?

Scoring was a little weak last year since it was their first year. Mainly weak in the sense it was a bit disorganized, but they did provide BJCP sheets in return. I'll be entering about 10 beers again this year. Last year I got a 1st place with my Rye Pale Ale, so i'm looking forward to this one again.

I have been going back and forth on whether to enter or not. The only thing I have bottled right now is an IPA and I am suer they will get a flood of that style. I am really not sure if this batch is somp worthy or not. Best of luck to the two of you though.

Thanks for the tips.

Since posting, I discovered that my LHBS is judging light hybrids in July, so I took a few bottles of the cream ale down there as well. I think it is one of my best beers to date, and I am really interested in seeing how it can be improved.

Heh, nice. Did you enter? I just dropped my cream ale and mango wheat off yesterday. I just started competing myself and have found that regardless of what I have sitting around the fridge, I enter it all. I don't care about the prize so much, but the feedback can be great.

That said, it was pretty great getting some ribbons this spring.

Dropped mine off yesterday as well- a cream ale and an ordinary bitter, as anticipated. Good luck to everyone.

Went the other direction for me. No score back on the bitter yet, but the cream ale got some harsh but helpful criticism regarding astringency. I was down in the dumps for a day or so, but then I tasted the beer, and saw exactly what the judge was talking about. Now that I have had the issue pointed out to me, I expect similar comments back on the bitter. My goal for the next year is to work on my water chemistry (I was using unfiltered tap water) and mash skills, and enter the exact same bitter recipe in next's years fair. We will call it "Redemption Bitter." Don't look back, guys, because someone might be gaining on you...

Back