Honey settled to the bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewC

Reaction score
I just made my first mead tonight and all the honey seemed to have settled to the bottom. I have already pitched yeast (1118) and I am already getting activity. Sould I try to shake it to combine or just leave it alone?

The yeast can eat the honey off the bottom. We sometimes use this technique intentionally - referred to as "bottom dwelling continuous diffusion yeast feeding" or BDCDYF for short.

Just make sure you are providing nutrients, aeration, and other good management and it should be fine.

Medsen

The yeast can eat the honey off the bottom. We sometimes use this technique intentionally - referred to as "bottom dwelling continuous diffusion yeast feeding" or BDCDYF for short.

Just make sure you are providing nutrients, aeration, and other good management and it should be fine.

Medsen

I always called it "CMBIATLTHWOTTMTM" but glad to see there is a technical term for it...

cold mix because I am too lazy to heat water or to thoroughly mix the must :D

Back