Mead`

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clayton79

Reaction score
Hi all:

My girlfriend made a basic mead (15lbs of honey, .5oz hops and water.. So far we have been fermenting for about 10 days, the recipe calls for 20-30 days in the Primary, Secondary- 60-120 days.
The question I have is. When should we rack to the secondary?
Or should I leave it in the Secondary longer?
And how long in the bottles before drinking?

Thanks

Clayton

Sounds like you found yourself a good girl.:)

Anyway, to answer your question I have a few of my own. Did you take any gravity readings? What kind of yeast did you use? I assume this is a five gallon batch. Did you add any nutrients? Aeration?

Actually, all of that makes it more complicated than it has to be (though it will help with repeatability and quality). A simple answer is, move it to secondary when it reaches a blip a minute on the airlock. Bottle when there are no changes in gravity readings for at least two weeks. Or, if you don't do gravity readings I would give it at least four to six months before bottling (unless you really need the carboy, then bottle and let it bottle age).

Hope this helps.

I usually rack to the secondary after 3 weeks because it's in plastic.

After a month in the carboy I'll check the gravity. Once it gets below 1.000 it's time to bottle.

I just bottled my Ginger Mead last weekend. It was 0.996.:D

Back