Possible Mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
You know how you are just driving along and replaying your previous nights brew in your head? Well...this morning I am driving and I realize that I brewed my pliny clone with roughly 13oz of pellet hops directly into the boil (no bag)...

I did not filter out the hops when transferring from kettle to primary.

Yeast is pitched, hops are in the primary....

Is that going to be an issue?

No. They will settle as the fermentation slows down. There is a lot of dry hopping still to go with that brew. When I did mine I cold crashed it for a few days before kegging and ended up with a nice clear brew. You will be fine.

Cool - I am concearned about the bitterness overall - is it ok to leave the hops in from a taste standpoint? I can clear a beer fairly easily...I used the wirlfloc tab and plan to filter when I rack it to the secondary...then cold crash as you mentioned.

Cool - I am concearned about the bitterness overall - is it ok to leave the hops in from a taste standpoint? I can clear a beer fairly easily...I used the wirlfloc tab and plan to filter when I rack it to the secondary...then cold crash as you mentioned.

If filtering is sticking some kind of course mesh over the entrance of the racking cane, then that's OK. Otherwise, don't do it. It will just get oxygen into the wort.

The hops will settle to the bottom of the fermenter. If they have not settled, the yeast are still active and the beer should not be moved. After the hops have settled, you can rack and leave almost all of it in the primary.

Back