Oversized bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyPaul

Reaction score
Is there any special rule for using larger bottles than the avg 341ml? (I think it's 341 - I never drink normal sized beers :S)

I have about 55 600ml bottles from a local craft brewery, and I was thinking of using them to bottle my first homebrew. I plan to prime everything in a bucket with 3/4c of corn sugar, and then bottle away with my big bottles :)

I'm brewing a simple ale recipe from my LHBS, and it's going to second fermentation later this week... so if it's ill-advised to use larger bottles, it'll give me time to find new bottles before I need to bottle everything up.

Oh, also, according to my LHBS, the recipe should be primed for drinking in 7-10 days (that seems short), but if I use bigger bottles, will it take longer to carbonate?

Thanks!
Paul.

The bottles will be fine and as long as you bulk prone to the proper volume then regardless of the size of the bottle they should take no more or less time than a smaller bottle.

IMO though 7-10 days is not enough time to properly carb and condition. 2-4 weeks is more reasonable an expectation.

Yeah... everything I read online said 3+ weeks to carb. I originally thought I'd have beer for xmas, but no biggie. So long as I get some drinkable beer before March, I'm happy.

Sorry - noob question, what does "bulk prone" mean?

1. Moving to the second vessel, in ales especially, 99% of the time is of no benefit.
2. 95% of the time, the instructions a LHBS gives you is worthless after you pitch the yeast.
3. The minimum amount of time to bottle carbonate is 3 weeks at 70F. Beers can (and many do) take longer than that depending on several factors.
4. Chill a bottle of your beer (after 3 weeks in bottles, at 70F) for a week before you pour one into a glass to test.
5. WEIGH your priming sugar, don't use cup measurements. Also, use one of the priming calculation sites/tools to figure out how much sugar to use for your batch. The generic 5oz of priming sugar sold with virtually every beer kit is often either too much, or too little.

1. Moving to the second vessel, in ales especially, 99% of the time is of no benefit.
2. 95% of the time, the instructions a LHBS gives you is worthless after you pitch the yeast.
3. The minimum amount of time to bottle carbonate is 3 weeks at 70F. Beers can (and many do) take longer than that depending on several factors.
4. Chill a bottle of your beer (after 3 weeks in bottles, at 70F) for a week before you pour one into a glass to test.
5. WEIGH your priming sugar, don't use cup measurements. Also, use one of the priming calculation sites/tools to figure out how much sugar to use for your batch. The generic 5oz of priming sugar sold with virtually every beer kit is often either too much, or too little.

+1

It's almost always too much, I've found. Most of your kits are designed for 5 gallons volume in the fermenter. After loss to the yeast cake, you're bottling under 5 gallons. And even for 5 full gallons, 5 oz (3/4 cup or so) is too much for most styles. I usually end up with about 4.5 gallons after cake loss, and usually use 2-4 oz to prime, depending on the beer.

Back