Going From Bottle to Keg? Anyone try this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJWP

Reaction score
I have a RIS that just never carbonated (long story, and i did try to add some yeast to each bottle - that didnt really work).

It is about two years in the bottle now and still tastes great - in fact it is matured greatly, its just pretty flat. I'd estimate its at probably 1 vol co2, maybe a little less.

I just heard that Goose Island here in Chicago is holding a RIS homebrew competition with an entry deadline of Jan 18. Not enough time to brew and age a new RIS so I was thinking, what if I cleaned and sanitized and purged a corny keg and carefully poured my old RIS into that keg and then force carbonated, and re-bottled off the keg?

Has anyone done this or something similar? crazy/stupid idea or could this work? any tips or other ideas?

Thanks,

Ok this is funny as hell. I just posted the same question. Think i will go erase mine. Thought I was the only person to think about this. I have the exact same problem. A bourbon porter that after 3 months is still not carbed at all.

Ok this is funny as hell. I just posted the same question. Think i will go erase mine. Thought I was the only person to think about this. I have the exact same problem. A bourbon porter that after 3 months is still not carbed at all.

3 months is nothing to worry about yet. The OP's 2 years probably is!

I'm having a similar problem with a BDS, it's been I think 7-8 months and it's still pretty flat. Haven't tried re-yeasting or anything yet, I'm gonna give it some more time.

If you purge the keg ahead of time, purge it a few times along the way, and purge it really well once it's sealed up at the end, I think you should be OK... but it'll waste quite a bit of CO2.

I've reyeasted with Champagne yeast twice (well, once I helped a friend do it) successfully. The first time was a big IIPA which sucked because I lost a lot of hop presence in the four months it spent in the bottles but it carbed up in a week after adding rehydrated yeast to it. Second time a buddy did it with the same results. Just used an eyedropper and dropped a few drops in each bottle.

If you can figure out a way to pour them while limiting their exposure there's no reason it shouldn't work but oxidation is a worry in this situation.

yeah I'm thinking I'm going to give this a shot. I mean, whatd I got to lose really..

I'll purge the keg, carefully pour each bottle into the keg (right into a blanket of co2) and immediately seal and purge the heck out of it.

we will see what we get..

Why not uncap them, drop in a few of the little carb drops and recap? Probably wouldn't risk oxidation this way.

I have the opposite problem, I have a batch of Fig Porters from last year that are over carb'd. I didnt factor in the level of sugar that was present fronm the figs when I went and added the priming sugar and bottled. Now you get about 2oz if your lucky when you open a bottle and wait for all the foam to finishes pouring out like a active volcano.

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago. I had a citra IPA that was overcarbed and was WAY too mango-ey for my tastes. I brewed up a simcoe IPA and mixed the two in a keg. I just chilled the citra IPA in my freezer for 4 hours or so and cracked them open into a bottling bucket. Then I mixed the simcoe IPA in there and kegged.

I'm no expert but I can't taste any oxidation and it wound up being one of my best beers yet!

So, screw what everyone else says - do what you want. Worst case scenario, it carbs up and has some oxidation. better than uncarbed RIS in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back