Pump and filtering break material

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
Just picked up a March Pump and am going to add it to my single vessel BIAB setup. I'll primarily be using it to recirc during the mash and chilling. I'll probably end up using hop sacks for my hop additions, but what about the break material? BIAB tends to have a bit more break material than standard processes. Should I do something to try and filter out the break so it doesn't cause any issues with the pump? I've never used one before, so I don't know how it will affect the performance and cleaning of the pump. What does everyone else here do?

I don't do BIAB but the things that clog my pump are mostly whole hops/fresh hops and chunks of stuff like orange peel. I haven't had it clog from break material.

You wont have any trouble with the cold break. I occasionally have trouble with the late addition hops but i've found that if I choke off the stream to about halfway or less then I can avoid pulling in most of the pellets. Once they've had a chance to soften up, I have no problems with the pellets either.

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I've never used a pump before so I didn't know if you had to be careful with them gumming up like you so with plate chillers.

Back