Is it time to rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emgesp1

Reaction score
So, my beer has been fermenting for about 5-6 days now and I have been taking hydometer readings for the past 2 days.

The two reading both measured 1.020, which seems too high,

Airlock still bubbles around every 15-20 seconds.

My O.G. was 1.060.

So, should I still give it a couple more days in the Primary? Beer, actually tastes pretty decent for what it is right now, no harsh off flavors, so I doubt I have a bad batch.

Thanks

Most of us and most books advocate leaving the beer 7-10 days before racking to secondary...

Many of us skip secondary altogether and just leave our beer alone for 3-4 weeks in primary...

Either way...let it sit a bit more before you rack it over....the yeasties once fermentation s over, will actually clean up after themselves if you let them.

What's the FG suppose to be? I would think if it's suppose to be lower it will continue to drop so I would leave it for another 4 days and then rack. I always leave it in the primary for 7-10 days then rack. This seems like a typical fermentation and typical amount of time.

Beersmith had my F.G. at 1.013.

See, I was just worried that perhaps my fermentation stopped at 1.020, because I got the same hydrometer reading in the past two days. Well, the airlock is still bubbling so maybe I'm just paranoid.

I'm pretty excited about this beer. I can already taste some chocolate and nutty tones. This beer does not have any of the high alcoholic flavors like my first brew, (I'm sure the 75 F fermentation was the reason for those off flavors).

Yeah, you'll probably get close to that. I know they say if you get 2 same readings in 2 days that it's ready to move, but I don't even start checking until day 7 at the earliest.

A warm fermentation will give you those hot alcohol flavors. Fermentation temp is so important. Sounds like you got that down.

Most of us and most books advocate leaving the beer 7-10 days before racking to secondary...

Many of us skip secondary altogether and just leave our beer alone for 3-4 weeks in primary...

Either way...let it sit a bit more before you rack it over....the yeasties once fermentation s over, will actually clean up after themselves if you let them.

Have you ever tried doing primary 4 weeks THEN doing secondary 4 weeks? Just curious, thinking of trying that with my EPA. I bet the beer would be super clear. I think I'm going to try this.

Latest posts

Back