Still fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi,
Brewed an extract w grain Amber Ale and used Liquid Yeast for the first time. It took almost 48 hours to start fermenting, but then had a solid 6 day ferment.
The airlock was showing no action so I transferred to my secondary.
1 - I noticed there was still a foamy head in the priming bucket when I transferred
2 - This morning, I checked my secondary and there was a small layer of foam and after stairing at the airlock for a few minutes, bubble bubble bubble.

Am I safe?

idk man... ive had some batches that seem to ferment FORRREEEVERRR! I say take it off the cake after a week or so, and let it sit in secondary for a good 7-14 days. Fermentation still occurs in the secondary after the log phase is completed. A little off gassing 2-3 weeks after you pitched is normal, and a good sign.

Your safe. I had this happen to my Porter that is getting bottled today. I brewed it on January 24. 35 days later its finally ready to bottle.

You are better off leaving it in the primary until it's finished. A secondary should be used for clearing, not for finishing fermentation.

I personally wouldn't leave an amber ale on the cake more than like 9 days. I'll let the belgiun wit go a bit longer to get some funky in there. A seconday is used to clear the beer, and to "finish" it. Its not like the beer stops fermenting after 7 days... i'm sure you could check a brew thats been in bottles 2 months down the road and it'll have a lower gravity than when you bottled it. The yeasties eat and eat until there is no more fermentable sugars, or they die.

Latest posts

Back