rebending stainless steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadpencil

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just finished my electric brewery build. I did two batches over the weekend. I bought a 50 herms coil from Stainless Brewing. It's a nice product and I highly recommend them.
After the first brew I noticed a strange boil pattern and thought it could just be how electric works, however after the second batch I noticed that when it is boiling that the wort comes over the top of the coil and recirculates down the walls of the kettle.
I want to cut the coil, around 15 to 20 feet off and expand it to allow the wort to move between the coils. What is the best way to do this and rebend it to hook back up to the kettle?

Thanks

I think you would run a high risk of kinking the coil in the process of reforming it.
SS is not known for ease of forming once, let alone multiple times.

Aside from the odd boiling pattern, did you notice any other negative aspects to the boil or finished product?

What kettle do you have the herms coil in? I don't know if theres another way to do herms but my setup has the coil in my hlt and I recirculate my mash through the coil.

Bobby is correct. I have a 42 quart Polarware kettle. I use the coil for heat exchange and as a chiller.

Because of the tightness of the coil the water and wort levels are about a inch apart. Cleaning is a bit difficult because of that.

Latest posts

Back