Under-Pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not pitching enough yeast it really has nothing to do with aerating. However, yeast need oxygen to multiple so it can influence the total cell count, but underpitching is the initial amount of yeast pitch into the wort. Not the total amount of yeast the beer will multiple out to. Most online calculators take into account yeast multiplication factors.

For an average five gallon batch you need in the neighborhood of 200-250 million yeast cells. A packet of dry yeast contain enough to do the job. Liquid yeast packages do not. They have about 100 million when very fresh.

So, if you use liquid yeast and do not make a starter and instead, just pitch a vial/pouch, you do not have enough yeast - under pitching.

not pitching enough yeast it really has nothing to do with aerating. However, yeast need oxygen to multiple so it can influence the total cell count, but underpitching is the initial amount of yeast pitch into the wort. Not the total amount of yeast the beer will multiple out to. Most online calculators take into account yeast multiplication factors.

Thank you

So how should I long should I stir the yeast to aerate or is there an additional method that is better?

So how should I long should I stir the yeast to aerate or is there an additional method that is better?

You don't stir the yeast. You stir the wort, before pitching the yeast. Some brewers have little oxygen cylinders to give a blast of oxygen to the wort, while some stir/shake/agitate the wort. Either works. If you're hand aerating, you can pour and splash the wort going into the fermenter, and then shake or stir it until it's nice and foamy. Then add the yeast and cover and airlock.

You don't stir the yeast. You stir the wort, before pitching the yeast. Some brewers have little oxygen cylinders to give a blast of oxygen to the wort, while some stir/shake/agitate the wort. Either works. If you're hand aerating, you can pour and splash the wort going into the fermenter, and then shake or stir it until it's nice and foamy. Then add the yeast and cover and airlock.

So on this first batch I siphoned the wort from my pot to primary fermenter and then stirred in the yeast which obviously I did wrong. So what I should have done is poured the wort from the pot through my strainer into the primary bucket to aerate it and then sprinkle(pitch) the yeast over the surface and let sit not stir. Could my process have ruined my batch.

For an average five gallon batch you need in the neighborhood of 200-250 million yeast cells. A packet of dry yeast contain enough to do the job. Liquid yeast packages do not. They have about 100 million when very fresh.

So, if you use liquid yeast and do not make a starter and instead, just pitch a vial/pouch, you do not have enough yeast - under pitching.

I think you mean billion, not million, both for the number of cells required and the number of cells in a vial/smack pack.

-a.

Back