Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarysnare

Reaction score
I'm doing a Partial mash Rye beer with an OG around 1.060.

What type of dry Yeast should I use?

I have had success with safale 05 and 06.

Are either one of these good?

Does it have to be dry? I ask because I have seen a couple rye pale ale recipes and both used Wyeast 1056..

Actually, I just made a rye pale ale and used that yeast. It says it can be pitched directly into beers up to an OG of 1.060. This is because the smack pack (theoretically) acts as a started.

I think the assumption is also that the yeast is very fresh. There are calculators that can estimate how much of a starter you need based on beer OG and yeast age, because it becomes less viable.

Is there a reason besides time that you don't want to do a starter? If you can brew extract, you can make a starter, nearly identical procedure with easier cleanup, IMO. The just shake the starter every time you see it.

05 and 1056 are essentially the same strain. You should only need one pack of 05 for that beer. If you follow yeast calculators like MrMalty and yeastcalc you'll be underpitching with one liquid pack or vial, which people do all the time but personally I'd do a starter.

Back