Tons of hops in small quantities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have accumulated about 10 different hops in small quantities ranging from 1/8oz up to 1/2oz, anywhere from 2.3AA to 17.0AA, running the alphabet on names

The question is this, what to do. Yes I could just do a kitchen sink brew but don't really want to take the time, effort or $$$ unless I have a pretty good idea that it will be drinkable

What is best way to develop a recipe or is it really worth it :confused:

And please don't say to send them to you so you can dispose of them properly for me :ban:

Toy4Rick

Id try to group them based on type, ex "german hops" or "aroma hops", and brew based on those, or something like that

I would say go with what nicklepickles said and brew a pale ale with all the American hops maybe added around 15 minutes left in the boil. That would give you a very citrusy aroma and flavor. Then take all the English hops and make a ESB, and/or German/Noble hops and make a nice crisp lager. Can you put a list of what you have so the comments could be more specific?

Cheers!

So what I like are Porters, Hefs, Centennial Blonde, Red Ale... IPA if its low bitter and high flavor.

Here is what I have on hand
.25oz Northern Brewer
.75oz Tettnang
.5oz Centennial
.5oz E. Kent Golding
.25oz Hallertau
.5oz Falconer
.5oz Saaz
.5oz Cascade
.5oz Columbus

5 gal All Grain is where I will start, the rest is open :mug:

Thoughts?
Toy4Rick

You can brew a nice heffe with the sazz, hallertau and tettnanger.
A blonde with the Columbus, FF cascade and centennial.

If you're willing to brew several 1-2 gallon batches that opens up your opportunities to brew a lot of interesting but different stuff. My other thought is to brew a five gallon batch with some general bittering hops as the bittering charge but then breaking the batch up after fermentation by the gallon and dry hop with different combinations. Who knows, you could find the next all-star hop combo that way.

IPA if its low bitter and high flavor.
Toy4Rick

Use the Columbus and Northern Brewer at 60 to bitter with; this should get you around 35-40 IBUs. Throw everything else in at flameout and let it steep 10-15 minutes before you chill.

So what I like are Porters, Hefs, Centennial Blonde, Red Ale... IPA if its low bitter and high flavor.

Here is what I have on hand
.25oz Northern Brewer
.75oz Tettnang
.5oz Centennial
.5oz E. Kent Golding
.25oz Hallertau
.5oz Falconer
.5oz Saaz
.5oz Cascade
.5oz Columbus

5 gal All Grain is where I will start, the rest is open :mug:

Thoughts?
Toy4Rick

To make a nice flavorful IPA you'll need about 1-1.5 oz. of a clean bittering hop like Warrior, then throw the Centennial, Falconer's, Cascade, and Columbus at flameout. Then you could do a heffe with the rest of the hops. N. Brewer and Tettnang for 60 mins, then EKG, and Hallertauer at about 10-20 mins.

Cheers!

Back