Aging a lager at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
So I've lagered an oktoberfest for about a month now, but I need to free up that space in order to cold crash an imperial IPA. My plan is to rack the lagered oktoberfest into a corny and let it continue aging at room temperature (I wont be serving for a few months so I'm not ready to bottle or hit with Co2). Is there anything wrong with this? Will letting it sit at room temperature for a few weeks after it's lagered affect the flavor? Theoretically the lagering period should have already given it the flavor it needs right?

I too have this same question. It would be great if someone could chime in.

It should be fine but personally I would either purge with co2, or naturally carb in the keg, It will be awesome and already carbonated in a few weeks. If you're going to bottle it then bottle it now. Lagering actually isnt about giving flavor its about eliminating off flavors.

The rule of thumb is to lager about a day per OG point. My understanding is that this helps the lager develop a cold-conditioned "crispness."

But no, you shouldn't really hurt anything by storing it warm. You just won't really be improving it, either (unless it was flawed to start with and needs aging to mellow out).

I second or third that. It won 't hurt it but it won't help either. A good lager is from 8 weeks plus in the cold. Then it Can be warm. Just my 2 cents.

Back