yeast stopped... 2 day ferm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

year2beer

Reaction score
Simple question...

Brewed a 4.25 gallon batch of cream stout. OG 1062

Pitched a wyeast London ale 1028... never started... took 2 weeks to get here usps! So I re-pitched muntons dry (hydrated) ...

After 2 days fermentation has stopped... will it start up again? There has been no more than a 4 degree temperature range....

Should I risk contamination... take a gravity reading this early? Or... let it ride?

Yep, take a reading. No harm in it if you're clean, and then you'll know for sure.

Or wait, like Iffy said, but I'm more impatient than most here. Once you start using starters, you'll never have to worry again.

What do you mean "fermentation has stopped"? Judging by airlock activity? Krausen falling? None of these IME are reliable signs - every fermentation is different, some are super fast. Take a gravity reading & stop wondering. Plus samples taste good.

Ill wait a week per my original plan... and take a reading Sunday night.

Krausen has dropped... airlock is stopped. I haven't found any leaks... I figure one of 2 things happened:

The wyeast was a ridiculously slow starter...
OR the 12 grams of dry, was beastly.

I'll be patient for now... I've seen a lot of you tube videos of yeast getting second, and third winds...

Thanks guys!

Decided to brew today... and thought while I'very got.everything out, I might as well take a gravity measurement. I'm sitting right at 1.030 after 4 days... right o. Schedule. Beer tastes great too, just young! No worries... now its just a waiting game.

Later. J

OK now I'm confused...

Just brewed a Porter. OG 1040, Pitched 11g of S-04...

72 hours and nothing...even checked the gravity... and still nothing. Temp hasn't budged from 64 degrees???

I used a muntons no boil kit w/ hops pre added, and brought it up to 200F, just to keep it sanitary. ITALY SUCKS TO BREW IN! Grains/extract are WAY over priced...but kits are dirt cheap (now I know why) !

Did I ruin this batch by almost boiling it? Or did I just get a crappy batch of yeast?

Thanks,

J

OK now I'm confused...

Just brewed a Porter. OG 1040, Pitched 11g of S-04...

72 hours and nothing...even checked the gravity... and still nothing. Temp hasn't budged from 64 degrees???

I used a muntons no boil kit w/ hops pre added, and brought it up to 200F, just to keep it sanitary. ITALY SUCKS TO BREW IN! Grains/extract are WAY over priced...but kits are dirt cheap (now I know why) !

Did I ruin this batch by almost boiling it? Or did I just get a crappy batch of yeast?

Thanks,

J

What was the temp when you pitched the yeast?

Re-pitched yesterday... all is well. Guess I'm pitching the yeast when its too warm...

Just purchased a counterflow wort chiller... should solve that problem in the future. LOL

J

Back