Ok to cork screw type wine bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjita

Reaction score
Hi group,
I thought I would try using wine instead of beer bottles for my cider this year. I picked up a good number of bottles from a local restaurant but about two-dozen or so are twist off type bottles. Can I use the bottles? While I have your attention, please feel free to suggest a type of cork to use. Thanks!

People do it but I know someone on another forum that when he went to pull the cork the bottle shattered in his hands and cut right through a tendon. This was 3 1/2 years ago and he has just finished his last operation late last year and has lost much of his movement in that hand. These bottles arent as think where the cork goes in thus the pressure can sometimes split the bottle right there. It aint worth it so please dont do it!

I use wine bottles and corks all the time when I don't carbonate my cider. Wine bottles aren't made for pressure, so beer bottles are necessary for carbonation.

I wasn't on planning on carbing the cider but, you're right Wade, not worth the risk. I wonder if there is less chance of broken glass injuring someone if they use something like this (http://tiny.cc/32kh0) remove the cork. I have one and both hands are on the tool with the bottle standing on the table. Any thoughts?

Back