Adding gelatin at bottling time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Why not? Just add it to your priming bucket. It'd eventually settle out on the bottom of each bottle, preventing the pourer from stirring up the yeast when he pours.

Would that work?

homebrewer_99 said:
It'll work, but believe me that gelatin is S-O-F-T.

I PRE-SUME it will come off the bottom faster than yeast. :mad:

I HIGHLY recommend using it in the secondary 2 days prior to bottling. :D

actually, this is an academic question for me because I made a cider with a hefe yeast and, shockingly, the stuff cleared in primary!!! After only about 3 weeks, I had a perfectly clear beverage. I racked it to secondary, let it sit for about 3 days, and then realized it was pointless.

And, of course, my hefeweizens are supposed to be cloudy.

And I just cracked open one of my 3(?) remaining SOB's. These are about 6 months old now. And the first pour was clear, the second pour was cloudy... and the cloudy one tasted better.

Basically, everything I've had, I've preferred mit hefe. But I'm thinking about doing a pale ale soon... and I may feel differently once I make that.... so I was just wondering...

do you want people to pour boogers out of the bottle? that is what it will look like to them. add gelatin when bulk conditioning in a cold enviornment, the colder the better for the gelatin, and add it according to instructions, at least a few days before bottling, if not a week.

Back