another LHBS trip or use whati have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegofclub

Reaction score
OK, I was going to make a brown ale following a recipe i found in some homebrew book but I wasn't able to get what exactly what was in the recipe.
I have to brew tomorrow as I'll be leaving town for a week. My LHBS is open tomorrow if i absolutely must pick up anything, but It's cold out and I don't particulary want to go. Here's what i have on hand:
6.6# Muntons Amber LME (Is this already Hopped, lady working there didn't know)
2# Chocolate
2# Caramel 60L
1# Munich 6 row
2 oz Perle pellets
2 oz Kent Goldings pellets
1 oz Williamette pellets
2 packs dry Muntons Premium gold yeast
oh and some irish moss
I was not planning on using anywhere close to all the grains, but they only sold everything in 2# packs.
Make a trip out or brew on??
Open to suggestions
THANKS ALL

Go to beertools.com and use the free version.It has a recipe generator that i use all the time.You just pick a style and follow the prompts.You tell it what you have and it spits out a recipe.It lists grain quantities to the hundredths but i usually edit it and round off/tweek the various quantities to truly customize the recipe.
Print it out and there you have it.Good luck.
Cheers:mug:

beer4breakfast said:
Yeah, but I'd be real careful with that chocolate malt. Maybe only 1/4 pound. 8oz to a pound max of that Crystal 60L.

Why? I'm curious. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use a half pound (maybe more) for a brown.

beer4breakfast said:
Well it's mostly a matter of taste, I guess, but also appearance. I think 1/2 pound of chocolate malt would be OK for a stout or a porter, but too much for a brown. It'll be pretty dark.

Yep, definitely a matter of taste. But if you are making an American Brown Ale, or a Southern English Brown Ale, a fairly dark color is to style. Here is a quick calc:

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.60 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 72.5 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.0 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 11.0 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.5 %

Estimated SRM = 24.6
Style SRM: 18 - 35

The Munich malt needs to be mashed so if you use it, steep your grains at about 154 degrees for an hour then rinse them with 170 degree water.

It is extremely unlikely the Munton extract is pre-hopped. The only times I've seen pre-hopped extract is in cans and they were always clearly labeled. If it is pre-hopped, you will see bits of hop in the extract. Once in a while, pre-hopped extract uses oils, but it should be labeled.

Not quite my Church of Chocolate Brown, but close. I use Victory instead of Munich.

6.6# Muntons Amber LME
0.5# Chocolate
0.5# Caramel 60L
1# Munich 6 row
Mini-mash all of the grain at 152F in a gallon of water for 45 minutes. Rinse well.

1 oz Perle pellets @ 60
0.5 oz Kent Goldings pellets @ 20
0.5 oz Williamette pellets @ 5

This is a fair amount of hops for a Brown. Many times Browns do not use an aroma addition.

Back