Prime time for making wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
With the temperatures getting warmer here in Texas, I want to get another batch or two of ale done before it gets too hot. I also need to make up a batch of good wine.

Could I put off making the wine a little longer? Is the winemaking process more tolerant of higher temperatures?

I live by myself and don't leave the A/C on while I'm away from the house. And I don't want to mess with ice blocks in water baths etc. right now.

I guess what I'm asking is, what is the best temp range for winemaking?

Thanks....

I don't know how hot the Texas Sun can warm up your house LL but if the Ale yeasts you use struggle in the heat while your away so will wine yeasts. Most work best at the Mid 60's to mid 70's F(17C to 23C ish) just like most ale yeasts. You'd be better re-thinking the idea of a water bath with maybe the wet T-shirt trick suggested by someone (can't remember who - good idea though!) in a thread on carboy cooling for beer to keep brewing through some of the hotter months.

Caplan said:
I don't know how hot the Texas Sun can warm up your house LL but if the Ale yeasts you use struggle in the heat while your away so will wine yeasts. Most work best at the Mid 60's to mid 70's F(17C to 23C ish) just like most ale yeasts. You'd be better re-thinking the idea of a water bath with maybe the wet T-shirt trick suggested by someone (can't remember who - good idea though!) in a thread on carboy cooling for beer to keep brewing through some of the hotter months.

I believe you are right about rethinking the idea of a water bath, etc. I sure don't want to stop brewing this summer when it gets hot.

This house can easily get well over 80 degrees F without the A/C on.

With all this good beer I have been brewing up, and with the wine I'm going to make, I guess I'm just going to have to designate one of the smaller bedrooms as a cool room. It wouldn't do for all of it get off tastes.

I've made a lot of wine in the past, but it was usually just made from frozen grape juice concentrate and whatever yeast I could scrounge up. Sometimes I would use wine yeast, sometimes I would just use dry bakers yeast.

But now I plan on spending around 100 dollars for a good red wine kit. I don't want to screw this one up! I just wish I knew as much about making real wine as I now do beer... lol

Lounge Lizard said:
I believe you are right about rethinking the idea of a water bath, etc. I sure don't want to stop brewing this summer when it gets hot.

This house can easily get well over 80 degrees F without the A/C on.

With all this good beer I have been brewing up, and with the wine I'm going to make, I guess I'm just going to have to designate one of the smaller bedrooms as a cool room. It wouldn't do for all of it get off tastes.

I've made a lot of wine in the past, but it was usually just made from frozen grape juice concentrate and whatever yeast I could scrounge up. Sometimes I would use wine yeast, sometimes I would just use dry bakers yeast.

But now I plan on spending around 100 dollars for a good red wine kit. I don't want to screw this one up! I just wish I knew as much about making real wine as I now do beer... lol
A dedicated 'Brew room' is a good idea - keep the blinds/etc closed to reflect some of the sun's direct heat if you can and rather than the AC on use a water bucket cooler and maybe put an electric desk fan near your carboy on a timer for the real 'Hot Hours' while you're out. It should knock a few degrees off your temp.

Back