Aging this massive stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsprowls

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Few questions on aging this stout I just brewed. I was tired of stouts that weren't coming out tar thick so I experimented with this one... I just don't know how long I should age it. I made it 3 gallons since its only an experiment.

Recipe: 3 Gallon

Grains: All Muntons 45 min steep
1lb flaked oats
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb Crystal Malt (C150)
1/2 lb roasted barley

Malt
6 lbs Muntons Plain light Malt Extract

Hops:
1 oz Cascade @ 60 min

Additional stuff
1/2 lb lactose @ 15 min
1/2 lb hersheys coca powder @ 15 min

Yeast
1 pack Nottingham

As of now it is sitting in my 6.5 gallon primary fermenting away (hopefully it won't stall... starting gravity was 1.103 and it should drop to about 1.023 according to hopville)

I don't know the best way to age it. I don't want to switch to a big secondary because there will be so much head space. I was thinking maybe getting a few 1 gallon secondaries and racking to them after I lose movement in the fermentation lock/check to see if it stalled or not. Any ideas on how long it should age in the primary, secondaries, and bottles? This is the biggest beer I have done yet.

I'd give it a good long while (month?) in primary considering the large OG and relatively low yeast count. Splitting secondaries could work, but so could buying a smaller, 3 gallon vessel for secondary. I'd age it like it was a barleywine or RIS, since that's what your gravities are similar to. That could be anywhere from 5 months to a year to peak.

That sucker sounds thick! Kyle

Do you think I would be good to pull the lid after 2 weeks and see where it's at then check it the next day to see if it is eithet still coming down, is where it needs to be gravity wise, or is stalled out? And then if it stalled im assuming I should pitch again.

So after the month ir so in the primary how long should I let it sit in the secondary? Or should I just age in bottles at that point

I would also pitch at LEAST 2 packs of notty. Even with just 3 gallons, at 1.100+ you're going to have a tough time with just one pack. Even if you're able to get down to your intended FG, underpitching like that will likely give you some fusel alcohols which won't age out of the beer.

^ Agreed, one pack has to be a major under-pitch. I'd go for at least two, and honestly three wouldn't be out of the question for such a beast of a brew...And then hope the wee yeasties don't get too drunk to finish the job (what is the tolerance of Nottingham, anyway?)

Cheers!

I pitched 1 pack 4 days ago. The yeast calculator said 1 11g pack would be fine so I figured I would go with it. Bubbling stopped in the airlock today so I figured I would check it and see where I was at. I am currently at 1.036. From past experience... I usually rack to secondary when bubbling stops and the gravity rarely changes that much between the rack to secondary and bottling day. Should I pitch another pack?

Went in to my local homebrew shop and talked to the owner. He gave me a pack of Lalvin EC-1118. He said he uses it in all of his high gravity brews. The first one he did this high stalled out and he stirred the **** out of it and put a 5g pack of this in. He said it brought him down the rest of the way and worked out fine. So hopefully it works out.

I will certainly keep you posted. I am a bit concerned... I did what he said and stirred the **** out of it then pitched the champagne yeast. About 20 hours later and the airlock isn't moving... so if I put a crap ton of oxygen in there and the yeast aren't using it up I am going to have a terrible beer. I guess we shall see. If it sucks I want to make it again with either two packs of notingham or a pack of notingham and champagne yeast from the start. I also may stir a couple hours after I see good fermentation just to make sure there is plenty of oxygen... I wish I didn't have to wait so long to see how it was going to taste haha.

For some additional info... this bugger has way to much chocolate in it... I am hoping that will fade out down the road... but that being said... this batch may be done so I might just start a new batch with 1/2 as much chocolate and then maybe make a starter or something. It just seems to be to much for my yeast to handle =[

Back