Yeast starter not doing much, bad yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spartanchip

Reaction score
This is my 4th batch using White Labs yeast and have made starters with all of them. This one however is not seeming to act the same as the other ones did, i am starting to wonder if these yeast might not be too lively. :( I made the starter over 36 hours ago and am still not seeing a ton of action just a very thin layer of sediment on the bottom (quite a small amount i would think for a 1.75L starter), i am occasionally shaking it up to aerate it more.

forgot to mention that the OG is 1.060 so that is the reason for my large starter

this is the yeast and it is for a Summer Saison Belgian Ale.

White Labs Belgian Style Saison Ale Blend WLP568

i checked mr malty to determine the size of my starter, i made a starter that is approx, 1.75L and has about 2 cups of light DME in it, yeast was pitched at about 70* aerated and covered with sanatized tin foil...

thanks, i was planning on brewing this tomorrow

cheers:mug:

yes it does foam when i shake it, and it is pretty cloudy, i sure can't see through it that is for sure

to me, it would seem that the yeast is working away then. you don't always get any krausen with starters. If its cloudy the yeast are in suspension, as wort will clear fairly quickly if left sitting.

I have only ever gotten 1 krauzen in all my starters and bottle harvesting...all that matters is if you see a band of creamy white yeast in the bottom of the flask, NOT whether or not you see anything on top.

It may have come and gone while you weren't looking for all you know...

I agree with Tele, as long as you see signs of fermentation, you'll be fine. I would really reccommend getting setup with a stirplate though. They help build up your starter much more quickly and I have had nothing but good results after using a stirplate. I would just take a quick sniff and as long as it doesn't smell "funky" you should be good to go.

alright thanks for the replies, i just wanted to make sure, because i have been storing this yeast in the fridge for a little over a month now, waiting till i had time to brew again

Back