Krausen question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbus

Reaction score
I have a question (duh). I just brewed a bigger beer (og 1.10). I am using a 6.5 gal carboy as the primary fermenter. The beer started bubbling about 13 hours after the yeast was pitched. I had an airlock on it, but switched to a blow off tube
Because I was worried that the airlock would clog.
After I switched the tube, the beer kept bubbling, but I noticed about a 2 inch decrease in the Krausen. Is this normal? Did I screw this batch?

switching to the blow off tube was a smart thing to do.

my bet is you probably saved the batch by keeping it in the carboy, instead of all over the room.

I have a question (duh). I just brewed a bigger beer (og 1.10). I am using a 6.5 gal carboy as the primary fermenter. The beer started bubbling about 13 hours after the yeast was pitched. I had an airlock on it, but switched to a blow off tube
Because I was worried that the airlock would clog.
After I switched the tube, the beer kept bubbling, but I noticed about a 2 inch decrease in the Krausen. Is this normal? Did I screw this batch?

Blow off got nothing to do with krausen decreasing. Dont worry about it. Just let it do its thing. But let us know how it turns out in the end.
Cheers.

It was simple physics in action. When you removed the airlock, you released pressure from the vessel. Pressurized bubbles popped.

Also, kraeusen will ebb and flow - on occasion I've taken the blowoff tube off, because active fermentation was over - only to be surprised by a resurgence. Big beers are especially tricksy in this regard.

Cheers!

Back