Saison Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. So, I made this Saison about a month and a half ago. I let it ferment all the way down and then transferred it to a keg to age at 72 degrees for 3 months (as the recipe called for). I decided to take a taste test today. As I pulled the lid off the keg I noticed a large amount of foam on top of the wort that had pushed itself up against the top of the keg. I pulled some out and taste tested it and it seemed to taste pretty awesome. There were a bit of floating particles in the sample though.

It fermented all the way down to a 1010 before I threw it in the keg. It seems to be the same. I used starsan, which usually leaves a bit of foam in the wort after a transfer. Could it be that? Could it be some sort of infection? Should I worry about the floaties? Like I said, it tastes fine, just a bit worried is all...

I'm sure you're fine. Saison is supposed to get at least a little funky. What yeast strain did you use?

most saison yeasts will get below 1010, just very slowly. so you could have still had some active fermentation going on

Another vote for more fermentation.
Last I checked my Saison du buff clone it was at 1.003! Its dryhopping now, I'll check it again when I was bottle. Wyeast 3711 rocks

Hey all. So, I made this Saison about a month and a half ago. I let it ferment all the way down and then transferred it to a keg to age at 72 degrees for 3 months (as the recipe called for). I decided to take a taste test today. As I pulled the lid off the keg I noticed a large amount of foam on top of the wort that had pushed itself up against the top of the keg. I pulled some out and taste tested it and it seemed to taste pretty awesome. There were a bit of floating particles in the sample though.

It fermented all the way down to a 1010 before I threw it in the keg. It seems to be the same. I used starsan, which usually leaves a bit of foam in the wort after a transfer. Could it be that? Could it be some sort of infection? Should I worry about the floaties? Like I said, it tastes fine, just a bit worried is all...

a krausen on a 1010 beer after 3 months? interesting. my saison just stopped at 1003 and the last 10 points did not show a krausen at all.

Sounds like fermentation kicked back up when you transferred. That would explain the foam and chunks. Let it setlle a bit and I say your good to go.

Just posted about my saison and it went from 1.064 to 1.002 in 22 days. I did not think it would get quite that low, but it did have quite a bit of sugar in it.

Latest posts

Back