DIY (sort of) lager fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrpeccator

Reaction score
While working on the pool a month ago, I noticed (besides the collection of leaves and dirt from the Santa Anas) that my pool holds 52 F all of the time. It is a 30,000 gallon pool that gets no direct sun and won't break 70 F until mid-July So my first lager, a Maibock, is fermenting happily in a carboy on a step. It is wrapped in foil and T-shirts so light is not an issue. We also have no critters that can reach 2'+ and reach the airlock. Are there any flaws in this I might have missed?

The only flaw I see is 52 degrees is pretty cold for swimming. You rich bastard!

A floating carboy container - like an innertube with webbing to hold the brew. Think of something for babies / small children ...

How cool would that be?

that's the way you use the pool. Man this tastes awesome after 16 days in primary. I've got a keezer all set to lager for me, and the gravity is 1.013 right now. My only worry is that it won't get too dry- but I don't even know if this is an issue in secondary/lagering. It will spend 6 weeks at 34 ish before Lent and consumption. :ban: I'm wondering what temps the pool holds throughout the year so I can go seasonal. Only time will tell I guess. (Plus I now have a name- Deep End Brewing:rockin:)

Back