4 kegs at once for first go around, a little nervous...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
My brewing partner and I just received the 4 keg kit from Keg Connection. We are planning on kegging our next 4 batches for a party in mid-July. We are going to be kegging them in roughly 2 weeks. As of right now, we have no way of keeping them cold. Our plan is to carbonate them at room temp for a few weeks, then the day before the party put all the kegs on ice. Do I need to be concerned about pressure changes in the kegs when I do this? I'm worried about carbing them up too much after they go on ice. Are there any general guidelines I can follow to make this work?

Once they are carbed to what you want you will just need to adjust the serving pressure to match the temp and set the serving line length to work with your pressure.

If I was forced to carbonate a keg at room temp, I would just go with natural carbonation. Just add your priming sugar and carbonate it like a big bottle. Then a couple of days before your party, pull a pint or two from each one to get rid of the sediment on the bottom.

To carb at room temp, you need to use a really high pressure. Here's a calculator to help you out:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

For example. An average CO2 level for an APA is 2.7 volumes. If the keg is at 70F, it'll need 32psi to carb.

I would carb at the higher pressure, then disconnect the gas and chill the kegs. then vent off any excess pressure from the kegs and turn the pressure down to serving pressure (around 6psi) and reconnect them.

In the meantime just keep an eye on craigslist and the local yard sales for an old chest freezer or fridge. You just spent how much on a four keg kit, but you can't spend another $40 on a fridge?

Yeah I was thinking about going the naturally carbonated route for this round. I might even do 2 of them with priming sugar and 2 with CO2 just to see the difference. I do plan on getting a fridge/keezer soon but probably won't have one before the party date. Ideally, I'll find one before then and my worries will be over. I was just trying to see if the hillbilly way would work for this go around. :D

Menards sells the refrigerators and freezers that they haul away from peoples houses when they buy new ones. We have bought these from them and had no problems ... and others are crap. But alot of them they sell for $9.00 The ones they know work or look the best sell for like 39 bucks. I recommend if you can get a side by side refrigerator ... get it ... a lot of times you can store 8 cornys in there :) You say you are close ... we have a truck ...

Latest posts

Back