How do I instal this RTD probe in my kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can install it on T joint at kettle output.
If you intend to put it on kettle you"ll need washer and o-ring with lock nut.

A T joint would probably be the easiest. You could also weld in a 1/4" half coupling, but if you want to go weldless listen to diS. Check this out for more info: Temp Probes

I installed it on a T with my site glass. Brewed for the first time with it yesterday. Problem was that it wasn't long enough to pass through the T and into the kettle. Even with recirculating, my temps were reading 10-15 degrees behind the rest of the kettle as I was heating.

I will probably have a 1/4 inch half coupling welded on so I can get better readings directly in the kettle. Having it on the output might work better too as long as I'm recirculating.

What do you guys think about using the 4" 1/4 NPT temp probe in a sight glass tee? If you use the sight glass they sell at Brewhardware it has a 1/4" NPT thread for a thermometer. I would think that the probe would extend at least 2" into the kettle.

I actually have the 4 inch. With the half coupling, nipple, tee and reducer to get through, it doesn't stick into the pot at all.

Brickout said:
What do you guys think about using the 4" 1/4 NPT temp probe in a sight glass tee? If you use the sight glass they sell at Brewhardware it has a 1/4" NPT thread for a thermometer. I would think that the probe would extend at least 2" into the kettle.

I dont think that probe would make into the kettle through the tee.

I just installed the weldless sightglass T from Brew Hardware you linked above this past weekend. Have the 4" 1/4 NPT thermocouple rather than the RTD installed. Didn't get a chance to test out its accuracy, but can confirm that the probe extends into the kettle. It's not in front of me, but I'd say by about 2".

I just installed the weldless sightglass T from Brew Hardware you linked above this past weekend. Have the 4" 1/4 NPT thermocouple rather than the RTD installed. Didn't get a chance to test out its accuracy, but can confirm that the probe extends into the kettle. It's not in front of me, but I'd say by about 2".

That's what I figured. With a 4" probe some of it would have to extend into the kettle. I couldn't imagine that Tee being more than 2" long.

Thanks for the replies, ideally I would have bought the liquid tight with the weldless fitting that was linked in an earlier post but the price was right on the ones I got. So basically I just need a stainless steel locknut and silicone washer.

photo-6.jpg

Good picture, it shows that the probe dosent reach inside the kettle. It has to be longer than any adapter the tee and the bulkhead.

Bobby M,
Do you see any problems with putting the 2" probe into the T you sell with a sight glass? Would the temperature still be accurate?

Latest posts

Back