Newb here, got a quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BcToker

Reaction score
Hey guys im doing my 4th kit today its coopers real ale, and i was gonna use corn syrup instead of white sugar, my local brew place doesnt have light dme, but i started thinking about using honey with the corn syrup. So i was gonna run to the store and maybe grab 500g honey and 500g corn syrup. Do you guys think this is a good idea or not, or maybe what quantities i should use.

ps been reading these forums for a while and just signed up... tons of useful info here and i love :tank:brewing

NOt exactly sure here but I think when using honey in the boil it essentially breaks down to just regular sugar and loses any trace of honey flavor. So there is really no point in adding honey over cornsyrup/sugar. Also, are you adding more sugar to boost alcohol content? The kits usually come with all the extract you need.

the kit instructions say to add 1kg of white sugar which i want to swap with cornsyrup but i just thought maybe use half and half with honey for a different flavor

You could double up two cans of Coopers for a 5 gallon batch. It would have more flavor and higher Alcohol content than a can + brewing sugar.

Corn syrup would work as well, if you want to use honey and preserve some flavor you could add it in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Back