High Water Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erock2112

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just got my first water bill in my first apartment. It seems extremely high, and I'm wondering if it's my brewing or if there might be some other sort of problem. The bill lists my usage as 4380 over 26 days.

Sewer usage $24.80
Water usage $34.97
Total $59.77

I'm in a two-bedroom apartment with another guy. I brew every 1-3 weeks, usually every 2. I don't feel like I waste too much water when brewing. I brew with tap water, probably around 10 gal total. I typically use the first 5 gals of output from my wort chiller to clean, and the rest goes in the sink. I mix 2.5 gal of sanitizer. The only think I can think of is that the 25 min of chilling must use a lot more water than I expected. How much does brewing increase your water bill?

I have not noticed much of an increase but I only get to brew 1/month. It would definitely be your chiller that would use the large majority of water during a brew day. Next time you chill see how long it takes to fill up a 5 gallon bucket and use that to determine how much you are using for the chill.

even at 100 gallons a brew session (way high) and brewing every week thats only 400 gallons. I would say a leak I dont use that much in my home with 3 adults and one 16 month old.

Edit: and my two sons do their laundry at my home also ... You are using an average of 168 gallon a day.

I had the same problem as you when I moved into my apartment. You are probably being charged part of the last tenants water bill. When I moved into my apartment my first water bill was 55 dollars and the second month it dropped to 23 and I didn't change anything, I asked the water company and they said that it was probably because I moved in half way between billing cycles.

4380 is really, really high for 2 adults. It seems your sewage is high as well, which means the water isn't leaking into the ground somewhere, it is leaking past the meter and then going into your sewer system and registering on that meter. This means you are getting dinged twice for it, once going into the apartment and once going out. Does the toilet run after you flush it? A toilet like that can waste a couple gallons an hour which means an extra one or two thousand gallons a month.

4380 is really, really high for 2 adults. It seems your sewage is high as well, which means the water isn't leaking into the ground somewhere, it is leaking past the meter and then going into your sewer system and registering on that meter. This means you are getting dinged twice for it, once going into the apartment and once going out. Does the toilet run after you flush it? A toilet like that can waste a couple gallons an hour which means an extra one or two thousand gallons a month.

Huh? Tell me it isnt so? Is there really a meter for you sewage. In Texas, or atleast here in SA, there's no such meter for sewage, they just average you winter months water usage and assume that is also your sewage usage.

Ha, I just got a bill for over $200 just for my water. Only 2 adult in our house also. They said I used over 55,000 gallons in the 3rd quarter!!! They're coming out because they think I might have a leak??? I think I would notice a leak that big. I think their measuring system is flawed.

They most likely use some type of equation to get the sewer wast water amounts. A meter wouldn't really work out to well with solids ... eeeewww

Thanks for the quick responses.

Does the toilet run after you flush it? A toilet like that can waste a couple gallons an hour which means an extra one or two thousand gallons a month.

Not that I know of, but my roommate has a private bathroom which I don't use, so it's a possibility.

I had the same problem as you when I moved into my apartment. You are probably being charged part of the last tenants water bill. When I moved into my apartment my first water bill was 55 dollars and the second month it dropped to 23 and I didn't change anything, I asked the water company and they said that it was probably because I moved in half way between billing cycles.

That's certainly possible, but I moved in August 1st, and the read dates are 8/14 and 9/09, so I don't think that's it.

I'll need to check for some leaks, starting with toilets.

thats just 66 gal a day each or a 10 min shower @ 5gal a min plus 3 tolet flushes brushing teeth twice (with water running:) ) and one shave - face wash. thats not even counting laundery and dishes
I july my water useage was 27,000 gal but i have a pool and large garden
my bill was 90$ and i thought i was getting robbed because my rual water cost twice what city water does here.

Ha, I just got a bill for over $200 just for my water. Only 2 adult in our house also. They said I used over 55,000 gallons in the 3rd quarter!!! They're coming out because they think I might have a leak??? I think I would notice a leak that big. I think their measuring system is flawed.

stop the 7bbl brewing and it will go down .:D

Thanks for the quick responses.

Not that I know of, but my roommate has a private bathroom which I don't use, so it's a possibility.

That's certainly possible, but I moved in August 1st, and the read dates are 8/14 and 9/09, so I don't think that's it.

I'll need to check for some leaks, starting with toilets.

easiest way to check for leaks is use food coloring in the storage tank. If any water is leaking it will show up in the bowl... And use red I did it once to SWMBO . I dumped red food coloring in because it was all I could find .. No leak but I peed and flushed and she went in right after me ... Man did she scream... looked like bloody water .

That's not much more than twice what I use each month with just one adult and I have ultra-low water usage everything.

Sewer rates are often based on how big your water meter is or how many bathrooms are in the unit. I added a bathroom in my Fullerton house and my sewer rate went up 80%.

Only Beer related increase I have noticed is when I used a space heater in winter for carboning - HUGE expense - extra $70.

Nothing you can do about sewer bill - it's always an estimate determined on usage what you bring in.

Your water bill is in line with what we use in a 3 bedroom house with 2 people. About $35 a month and 25ish sewer. $1.10 a day coming in. 420 gallons a month.

55,000 gallons LOL - leak? GUSHER!!! The MOST water we ever used was 1300 gallons on a new yard.

dude you number have to be wrong 1300? you can run that thue a hose in a few hrs
i think you mean 13,000

420 gal a month between 2 people is only 7 gal aday each
if that true you dont shower wash your lundery or do dishes there, much less watering out side , **** i have had aquariums bigger than 420

Only Beer related increase I have noticed is when I used a space heater in winter for carboning - HUGE expense - extra $70.

Nothing you can do about sewer bill - it's always an estimate determined on usage what you bring in.

Your water bill is in line with what we use in a 3 bedroom house with 2 people. About $35 a month and 25ish sewer. $1.10 a day coming in. 420 gallons a month.

55,000 gallons LOL - leak? GUSHER!!! The MOST water we ever used was 1300 gallons on a new yard.

Are you sure you're not getting confused between gallons and cubic feet? 420 gallon a month isn't much at all.

I hate to revive a dead thread, but I just got another bill, this time for $72. I just can't figure out how I'm using so much water...

So, on average, per capita water usage is 100 gallons/person/day. You and your roommate should be chunking through 100 * 2 * 30 or 6000 gallons/month. That's "normal".

To cut back on your water usage: take shorter showers, take fewer/no baths, fill up jugs or bottles with water and put them in your toilet tanks, (this displaces water in the tank and allows you to use less per flush), don't run the water while brushing teeth, etc,

Honestly, water costs can vary, but I pay between $150 and $250 per quarter, or $50-83 per month, (more in summer, less in winter)

I once lived in an apartment complex in Tampa that charged us water and sewer based on what the overall usage for the complex was, prorated for each apartment based on square footage of the unit. So basically everyone who lived in apartment that was the same size as mine got the exact same bill. So it really sucked for me when I was on the road a lot, because there were a couple of months where I was on the road a lot and was only home maybe 8 or 10 days out of the month. So you might check and make sure that's not the case for your place, I was NOT fond of being billed that way.

You might also want to see how your municipality charges for water.

Here in Toledo we get a general sewage fee which is applied to "single family structures". The water is a little bit more funky though. We can use up to 'x' cubic feet for a set rate. If we use less we still get charged for using 'x'. Then if you use 'x' cubic feet of water you jump into tier 'y'. This means that you get charged for x+y. There is also a third tier and after that it is calculated on a per cubic foot basis.

Check your bill or city website. It should contain information on how the bill is figured.

Your water company may charge you an "estimated" reading as well. If we dont' call our water company with our readings they charge us a really high rate. They only actually check the meters like twice a year.

I would double check to make sure you don't have a pin hole leak somewhere. Check all the shut off valves too. Sometimes the collar can have a tiny leak if they work a bit loose over the years.

I hate to revive a dead thread, but I just got another bill, this time for $72. I just can't figure out how I'm using so much water...

There are a few things I would suggest you do:

1. Take meter readings yourself if you can and keep a dated log. You can do this to check the daily, weekly and monthly consumption. Water meters commonly clock hundreds of cubic feet, but not always. You may need to do a conversion, but that's easy enough. Use 7.48 gallons per cubic foot. Learn how to read the meter if you don't already know how.

2. Contact your city water department (or water company) and talk to them about the situation. Ask them how the billing works and how the sewer fee is computed. Usually the sewer fees are based on your water consumption. There is never a sewer meter, per se, but there may be a flat rate fee or something that you are not aware of. Sometimes your water bill will have detailed information on the back side that could be helpful.

3. Request that they send a technician out to check out your meter and help troubleshoot the problem.

4. When you check the meter reading, see if there is any movement when all water faucets ect are shut off. This could indicate a leak. Some meters have a flow indicator which spins when water is flowing through it. You can also take a reading with everything shut off; wait an hour or so and take another reading. There should be no change if you are using no water.

5. Ask a couple of your neighbors how much their water bills are running. You might get lucky and meet a hotty in the process. If so, invite her over to help you read your meter. She could hold the flashlight or something. Do this late on Halloween night. That's this coming Saturday. Have some good beer on hand and explain to her that you brew your own beer. Many girls will find that fascinating. Have some good wine and liquor on hand in case she does not like beer. If this all goes well, you will soon be saying, "phuk the water bill". Let's relax and have another homebrew. Yeah baby, yeah!

6. When you call the water company and the receptionist takes your call, go out of your way to schmooze her. She will likely be much more helpful if you are very nice about this whole thing. Don't cop an attitude with her. That will get you nowhere in a hurry.

Post back on Sunday and let us know if you got laid or not, then post back when you get to the bottom of this. I think your water rate is kind of high and the sewer charge equally so, but I am not up to date on the cost of domestic water. My water is paid by the landlord, so I never see a water bill and haven't for a very long time.

Where is your water meter located? Can you access it? That's the first step.

And perhaps you could have the hotty neighbor help you install a low flow shower head (if you don't already have one) and maybe she would be nice enough to help you test it out!

And ofcourse remember... if brewing is to blame, you will get hit twice.. once making it and also once after consuming it :) So maybe start holding your pee more

And perhaps you could have the hotty neighbor help you install a low flow shower head (if you don't already have one) and maybe she would be nice enough to help you test it out!

My personal policy is to remove the low flow shower heads. It's near impossible to take a decent shower with those things. I even take my own shower head and a wrench with me when I travel so I can switch the one out in the hotel bathroom if they are low flow equipped. I switch them again before checking out. Only takes a minute or two. We home brewers are tricky that way.:drunk:

And ofcourse remember... if brewing is to blame, you will get hit twice.. once making it and also once after consuming it :) So maybe start holding your pee more

Or you could piss off of the balcony like I sometimes do; only after dark ya know.

Or you could piss off of the balcony like I sometimes do; only after dark ya know.

Yeah... i don't have that problem.. i have my own well and septic, and out in the country i can go and take a pee on a tree if it would save me money :D

bottom line, don't pay for the water or disposal of liquids afterwards ;)

Latest posts

Back