very old cans past expiry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleScrapper

Reaction score
my uncle gave me a whole bunch of coopers and john bull beer kits which are all about 5 or 6 years past expiry. some even more..

there is no bulging on the sides, and have been kept cool in a basement.
he swears they're still good and says the stuff never expires

but he also makes beer that tastes like apple cider. i assume he uses that crap

but... he's also never used good yeast, DME, or hops in his brews. maybe if i get some fresh yeast?

can these cans still be saved??
(i suppose i can just open one up and see, eh?)

I would say give it a try but don't use the yeast that came with it. I would also think about some hops other than what comes with it.

The oldest extract I've used was 8 years old. It had darken a great deal, so I made a stout with it. Not the best batch, but okay. It worked out to less than $5 for the batch. Some hops and a few ounces of specialty grains.

You might consider some steeping grains, newer hops, and yeast. The extract is still sugar and will still make beer, some fresh enhancements might improve the quality.

I have done all grain with grains milled a year ago. It was ok; very drinkable. nothing super but not putrid like some brewers would think.

A lot of things are a lot more flexible than most people think. Just Brew It!!

Back