Stuck Gravity, but bubbling...what a conundrum!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SO I'm making a coffee porter. I use a nice extract porter recipe with 8# of malts (mixed LME and DME). NO coffee was used in the brewing process.

My O.G. = 1.028, I think pretty low for 8#'s. I usually average 1.045+ for this much malt.

I added the 1084 Irish Ale Yeast (Smack Pack) and within 24 hours, fermenter 1 is bubbling away.

Transfered to fermenter 2 4 days later after slow to no bubbling and now I've added 15oz. of Espresso in secondary.

10 days later I take a O.G. reading of 1.028 again!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!! How could I be getting fermentation activity but no apparent attentuation??

Thoughts?
Chicagobluesman

That's gotta be some mighty thick espresso. :)

I think the problem is with the OG reading. Was the wort hot when you took the first reading? You could try one of those programs which guesses you OG and ignore your 1.028 reading.

Ok....well I know I just posted this and I should've posted it sooner, but I decided to go ahead and bottle this batch.

There was a good amount of sediment on the bottom of secondary.

Yes, the espresso was top notch. Stumptown Hairbender Espresso.

If you know Portland, you know about Stumptown.

I'd still like to hear some other thoughts on the root of the problem though.

Thanks.

I reckon if there's CO2 the the yeast is still fermenting something!
Did I read some where if they use all the available sugars there's a stage where they start on their selves? Or did I dream that one?

If they are working on there selves would that change th FG?

Back