When to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundling

Reaction score
I have brewed 2 ciders, 1 pear, a JOAM, and a skeeter pee. Now I'm ready to get a little more adventurous.

I want to do a cider with cranberry added in the secondary. The question is: at what stage of yeast activity in the primary do I switch to secondary? Vigorous activity? Wait till it's done?

From my research and experience, you want to use your hydrometer. You could rack it off at 1.000 or a little above, but I think it's probably best to wait until it's cleared so you end up as little sediment as possible in your secondary.

I've got an apple melomel (cyser) going now that was 4 weeks in the primary (dropped to 1.000), then spent another 4 weeks in the secondary on top of some special apples (they're called "lady apples") - again I waited for it to drop clear. I just put it into gallon jugs to let it age.

Most of my experience in brewing has been with beer, so I've learned the art of patience :) Cider gets better with age. I'm of the opinion to let it finish dry, get it as clear as possible, so you have less crusty sediment at the bottom of your bottles.

Latest posts

Back