Over carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanselv

Reaction score
I batch carbonate and have over carbonated my kolsch. Everything else was fine except the carbonation slightly overwhelms the taste of the kolsch. I believe I read where you can uncap the bottles and cap them again to help this. Has anyone tried this and will the beer have adequate carbonation? The kolsch has been in the bottle for 3 weeks.

I batch carbonate and have over carbonated my kolsch. Everything else was fine except the carbonation slightly overwhelms the taste of the kolsch. I believe I read where you can uncap the bottles and cap them again to help this. Has anyone tried this and will the beer have adequate carbonation? The kolsch has been in the bottle for 3 weeks.

That sounds like it would work, although I think it is unnecessarily wasteful. The simple answer to your problem is to pour your beer a few minutes before you want to drink it and poor it aggressively. Doing so will drive off a lot of the CO2 and it'll be more pleasant to drive. Plus it's less work :mug:

Back