Group Buy in Chicago #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
only thing I would change honestly is if people knew the item id to be able to order by that vs searching....but I don't know how many people would actually pick out the ID's ahead of time like I would.

I have asked ghoti if a search by ITEM ID can be added.

Bulk Grain Group Buy
About
Contact

Thank you for registering, you should recieve your login code via a PM on your HomeBrewTalk site.

Bulk Grain Group Buy
About
Contact

Thank you for registering, you should recieve your login code via a PM on your HomeBrewTalk site.

I think we should get rid of the confirmation code message.

ok, went and logged in. Having some troubles. Could be formatting, could be user error. The word SEARCH on shows up as "ARCH". and when I type in TF-MOPA,TFMOPA, TF, or MARRIS OTTER, I get nothing in response to my search efforts.

I am adding the ability to search by grain ID to allow for you to search by TF-MOPA, etc.
FYI it is "Maris" Otter not "Marris" that is why that is not showing up.

ok, went and logged in. Having some troubles. Could be formatting, could be user error. The word SEARCH on shows up as "ARCH". and when I type in TF-MOPA,TFMOPA, TF, or MARRIS OTTER, I get nothing in response to my search efforts.

ghoti is going to add the ability to search by item ID

ok, but I am still not feeling success here. Before explaining my next thought, please understand that I'm interested in trying to help out here. If I happen to create any frustration, please feel free to tell me to stop posting.
So, I tried to properly spell maris otter this time and got a different response. It was:
"Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/bmason16/domains/chicagohomebrewers.org/public_html/grain/grain.php on line 84"

I did have success with "2-row", though "2 row" was a failure. I'll try to add some stuff to a "purchase".

I was able to get to some maris now, maybe it was due to you changing code at the time, idk. I will now try some search by ID now.

yes, I was uploading the new code to put in the search by ID. I can try to put in some logic for 2 row because it is funny, but it matches the way it was entered into the spreadsheet. In the spreadsheet it is 2-row, so I can look at adding some logic that if folks search for 2row, 2 row it will change it to 2-row behind the scenes.

- I would like an error if it cant find what im searching for.
- Is there a wildcard search? Or a way to see all options? I wouldn't mind browsing for grain/ mis item. I impulse buy :(
- Is there an option to add fees/ surcharges?
- How will we handle bag splits? If I enter .5 bag it defaults to 1 bag.

i added a link for a spreadsheet so everyone can see how many sacks are in the order so far. the link is kind of buried in the notes box so you need to look for it carefully.

Great suggestions, I can see what I can do about adding them.

You can search vendors as well aka "Barids" and see the full listing
It should be wild card searching so if you just enter "ar" you will get all the Bairds malts as well as other malts that have "ar" in the name, vendor name, or ID.
What fees/surcharges are you thinking about?

I will have to think through how it will handle bag splits as currently folks are sectioned off so you can not see other people's grain order. I just need to think through the approval so the person running the group buy knows it was approved on both sides. That will take take a little more work on my end to figure out.

I think splits should be handled how they were in the last order. If I want to split an order between Ghoti myself and bill....one person agrees to purchase and he collects the money etc from the other people. I believe last time people were required to handle their own splits.

Great suggestions, I can see what I can do about adding them.

You can search vendors as well aka "Barids" and see the full listing
It should be wild card searching so if you just enter "ar" you will get all the Bairds malts as well as other malts that have "ar" in the name, vendor name, or ID.
What fees/surcharges are you thinking about?

I will have to think through how it will handle bag splits as currently folks are sectioned off so you can not see other people's grain order. I just need to think through the approval so the person running the group buy knows it was approved on both sides. That will take take a little more work on my end to figure out.

I think RC0032 may be referring to delivery and hazmat charges. I curretly have a spreadsheet that I generated from the export list so people can see where the group buy is. I like to have have transparency so people know exactly what the latest status of the buy is. I think this is what makes our group buys popular. $0.02

So is this what's being used, or is this just a big test? Basically wondering if I should have a couple beers, make up my mind, and add my grain :)

P.S. Used to really, really like Chicago. Now I love Chicago. Cheers, ghoti.

I am working on the additional fee section. This will be added by the organizer and split by bag. You will see line items on your group buy screen when this has been added with a description of the cost.

I signed up a moment ago. Sorry if I missed a post or am being hasty, but I assume I have to wait for a confirmation code right?

forstmeister said:
I signed up a moment ago. Sorry if I missed a post or am being hasty, but I assume I have to wait for a confirmation code right?

I thought the same thing, but I tried logging in again and it worked. I don't know maybe one I the administrators did something?

ylpaul2000 said:
I thought the same thing, but I tried logging in again and it worked. I don't know maybe one I the administrators did something?

Yep, in now! Off to shop.

OK. So what am I doing wrong? I followed the link in bmason's post (#945). put in my email address, my HBT user name, password, confirm my password, and
get to a page that says you will be notified blah blah.
I click on Bulk Grain Group Buy, and get to "Welcome to the Group Grain Buy Website",
It shows my e-mail and ********** for my password, I hit Login,
and it throws me to the confirmation code page.
Where do I go from here?:confused:

The admin (in this case me) needs to confirm you after you sign up. I just confirmed 4 people so you should be able to place a mock order now.

A couple of notes after testing.

1. Overall, it works really well.
2. Putting a special character (& ^ % #, etc) in the quantity will add the item to your order with 0 quantity. I think this is the right way to handle the invalid input. Very nice.
3. Updating quantity works great. Perhaps updating quantity with a blank field should remove that item?
4. The 'about' and 'contact' links do not seem to work, but that may be because I'm working off a tablet.
5. For that actual buy, I would suggest adding a cut off date in the notes section.

Great idea!

I may be up for some hops as well as grain, but as others have said 11 lbs is a lot of hops. I have a Food Saver that I can offer up for those who want to split up bags of hops. I have never used it-it's still in the box. I assume it will work for this purpose.

Thanks. In and several sacks ordered. Can I just close out the page now? There's no log-out or anything, right?

Way, way too easy!

You guys are awesome!

Pretty sure this is a beta test of the system and not a real buy. Or it better be... 11 bags of peated malt isn't something I really want.

Awesome work!

I'd love to see a data mask on the quantity field. I entered a letter and it still showed a line which could lead to future heartache for a smartphone thumb typer like me.

What's the plan on sanitizer and hops?

Lots of activity! I'm in for at least a few sacks in the next buy and possibly a hop split depending on variety. Need to do an inventory to see what i need. I'm also cool with sharing the domain cost across the buy.

Very sweet operation.. damn nice job-great work.

A couple comments/questions: There should be a way to view current order aside from adding some junk and having to update to 0 qty. ( I found the round about way by going back to root, then forward)

A logout function should be added.

Possibly an email my order to me function for verification.

How about a flag/note for Bill or admin to tag an item when its out of stock or being removed from an order... ie nelson sauvin hops from last buy that weren't avail at the time of ordering.

Also as stated before what about hops, cleaners, and other misc any thought on adding them.

there is a way to hide items so that is not a problem. we can ask ghoti if he can add the rest of the catalog but it's quite large. however, he does have the excel file with the items.

r... ie nelson sauvin hops from last buy that weren't avail at the time...

Not sure when southern hemi hops come to market but I had a 100% Nelson pale last weekend in Atlanta at Wrecking Bar that was great. Killed me they can't fill growlers down there. They also had a Chardonnay barrel aged triple that was just beautiful.

What's the process for modification of an existing order?

Not sure when southern hemi hops come to market but I had a 100% Nelson pale last weekend in Atlanta at Wrecking Bar that was great. Killed me they can't fill growlers down there. They also had a Chardonnay barrel aged triple that was just beautiful.

What's the process for modification of an existing order?

just add a numeric value in the quantity box then update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back