When to add adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecouchbeast

Reaction score
Hey I just did a cherry vanilla cider and added dried cherries and fresh vanilla in secondary and the vanilla is not very prominent the cherry is there but not so much so I guess I'm asking would it need more time like in primary or should I just ad more in secondary

It would be a bit easier to answer your question if you could give a little more info about your brew... Such as: your brew size, OG, how much cherries you added, what kind/how much of fresh vanilla was added (extract, beans, ext...), how long have they sat in the secondary, ect...

But if I had to give a suggestion based off your current info, I would say to let it sit in secondary longer (assuming time is not an issue). If this doesn't work after a few months then add more. It's all up to you and your taste buds and that's the great part!

I would add your ingredients to secondary instead of primary. Most of the vigorous fermentation will have subsided and you should get more out of your ingredients.

Back