My First Mead. What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingi

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of Mead. Here is my ingredients list. please tell me what you think.

15# clover honey
4 gal spring water
5 campden tabs
2.5 tsp yeast energizer
2.5 tsp pectin enzyme

I threw all that in a 5 gal glass carboy and shook like hell till as much of the honey dissolved as I could get. i am going to let that sit for 24 hrs to allow the campden tabs to do their thing, and then I am pitching 4632 Mead yeast from Wyeast. Any advice from the pros is much appeciated. If I'm going to invest a year into this, I would like it to be good.

A nice simple traditional mead. Your OG should be near 1.100.

Things to consider for the next batch:
  • There is no need to add campden tablets, or any other form of sulftes.
  • There is no pectin in honey & water. Adding the enzyme serves no purpose... ;)
Things to do now: Read the mead FAQs, especially making a basic mead, staggered nutrients, and honey fermentation concerns. :)

As hightest said, it sounds like a good solid recipe for a traditional mead. Do you have access to Fermaid K? If so, use it at the end of the lag phase, and again at the 1/3 and 2/3 sugar break during fermentation and aerate it good twice a day with vigorous stirring for the first three days.

Back