I've made my first terrible batch :( please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFishDave

Reaction score
I got all the way to my 9th 5 gallon batch until I messed something up. My ingredients were
2.5 lb 2-row malt
9.5 lb extra pale extract
bittering hops 1oz newport
flavoring hops 1oz cascade
also sterling hops last 15 min
I used the pac man yeast from Rouge. I also dry hopped at 1 week with 1oz amarillo. I bottled after 2 weeks with added fine sugar and waited three weeks. The beer is terrible! Its very dark, almost no carbonation, the head is made of very thin bubbles like scum on a pond. Its like the fermentation process was not effective at all although there was plenty of dead yeast in the ferminter. The taste is putrid. Any ideas about what went wrong? Thanks!

Well....... The only thing I can think of is that its not quite ready. Or it might have gotten infected. But it would taste like satans anus if it had.

How long was the primary ferment?

Do you think it fermented completely? What were your FG readings? How did you get the yeast?

I'm sorry your batch didn't turn out well. Don't dump it yet -- there may be hope!

The original gravity was about 1080 and after 1 week in primary and 1 week in secondary the final specific gravity was about 1020. I really thought i was good to go. It never got any clearer though. It has stayed dark and murky. Yeah maybe it needed more time in the primary, but my readings indicated otherwise. I was hoping the thin laced bubbles, lack of carbonation, and very bad (maybe sour) taste would be tale tale signs of a common mistake. Hey thanks a lot for your replies!

The original gravity was about 1080 and after 1 week in primary and 1 week in secondary the final specific gravity was about 1020. I really thought i was good to go. It never got any clearer though. It has stayed dark and murky. Yeah maybe it needed more time in the primary, but my readings indicated otherwise. I was hoping the thin laced bubbles, lack of carbonation, and very bad (maybe sour) taste would be tale tale signs of a common mistake. Hey thanks a lot for your replies!

Yikes! Of course it never cleared and tastes bad, it's two week old BIG beer. I leave my beers in the primary for a month to make them crystal clear and for a big beer I move it to secondary for a month or two to age.

Okay I hear ya. I didn't realize it should take that long. I've already bottled it so are you suggesting i let the bottles alone for 3 more months? If so, thats what i'll do. thanks again

Okay I hear ya. I didn't realize it should take that long. I've already bottled it so are you suggesting i let the bottles alone for 3 more months? If so, thats what i'll do. thanks again

That's a good plan, now you can brew another. If you want something fast try a wiezen.:rockin:

Back