Norther Brewers Priming calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
Can I assume that the calculations you get from Northern Brewers Priming Calculator are suppose to provide the amount of sugar you add to 2 cups of water (if you are priming for a 5 gallon batch)? I am just assuming 2 cups of water since that is the amount suggested by Palmer.

I usually use 2 to 3 cups of water. I'm just figuring a less concentrated solution of sugar and water will distribute more evenly in my beer. The extra cup or two of water won't be a noticeable dilution in 5 gallons of beer. The amount of priming sugar is the main concern.

I haven't paid too much attention to the resulting final volume. On my last batch I started with ~1.5 cups but don't know what I ended up with, other than somewhat less, after boil off.

Also, apparently the temperature to use is the highest your beer achieved during fermentation, not the straight up temperature at bottling.

If you want to maintain the same ABV of beer the priming sugar should be the same gravity as the original wort. But even if no water is used it will only be about a quarter to a half of a percent higher.

For details see here:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/abv-from-priming-sugar.html

I just put some water in a one quart mason jar with the sugar for a five gallon batch.

Back