Corny noob - cant stop serving foam!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jat147

Reaction score
Howdy,
Got my first kegged lager ready to serve for the holidays, and it tastes great!
Trouble is all I can seem to serve is a big glass of foam :( The corny is a 41F in my garage, and has had co2 on it for 3-4 days now. I started at 11psi, but it was a bit too lifeless, then someone suggested it would be better at 20psi, which hasn't helped a great deal. I've shook the keg, rolled it around, put gas on top of the lager, in thru the out tap so it has bubbled the lager from the bottom.
When I try to serve a glass I get nothing but foam, 1st glass, 2nd, 3rd, etc. It dies down after a while but still lacking in decent carbonation. What am I doing wrong here? Any ideas?
Cheers,
Merry Christmas

lower pressure to 12 psi-give it time-if that doesnt work use a longer beer line.

Sorry, forgot to add - I lowered the serving pressure to 6-8psi, and bled the excess away. Haven't tried a longer line though, will that help?

I set mine to 30 psi and shake it to death for 10-15minutes let it set for a day then set regulator to 12 PSI @ 40F then bleed off excess keg pressure and in 2-3 days its good to go. Also might be your line length causing you problems. Alot of people have foaming issues with the standard 4-5' lines. If you do you might want to get 8-10' line for serving and that should help reduce your foaming as well.

If using the and forget method. I just leave it on the gas at 12PSI for 2-3weeks and get good carb that way.

Bleed off all pressure, then set it at 12 to 14 psi for one to two weeks while chilling...leave it at 12 to 14 to serve...works perfect for me every time.

And yes, change out your beer line to an 8 foot piece of 3/16" line.

Good luck!

24 hours at 30psi with gas hooked up to liquid line. Bleed keg. Turn to serving pressure with 10 foot 3/16 lines for a normal setup. Serve.

Try checking the o ring under the flared end of the gas tube. I recently had a problem with to much foam or getting a big glut of foam. When I checked the the o ring it was allowing CO2 straight into the beer line. I did not have a direct replacement for it, but added an extra o ring and all sealed up and poured good after that.

Back