Low gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOEH1234

Reaction score
First all grain American honey wheat and the gravity is at 1.030 is this ok. This was sun day and the air lock is showing one bubble every 7 sec. Is this just going to be a lite beer??

JOEH1234 said:
First all grain American honey wheat and the gravity is at 1.030 is this ok. This was sun day and the air lock is showing one bubble every 7 sec. Is this just going to be a lite beer??

1.030 will be lower alcohol, but if you can post the recipe, mash temp, yeast you used, then we will know more about if it will taste "light" or not. Are you also asking if your fermentation is almost done?

3 lb. dwc pale ale malt

3lb. Wheat malt
0.5 cars pile malt
0.5 dwc aromatic malt
2 /0.5 honey
1 tsp. gypsum
Smack pack wyeast
Mash 152
Sparge 170
Started with 3 gallon water ????

That do seem low for an OG. I can't tell exactly how much honey you used, but at .5 lbs honey you should have around 1.040. You may have had too hot a sample, which (I think) would make it more viscous and therefore thinner (?), that is, if you used a hydrometer. Make sure you're using a long enough rest for conversion and sparging well. Check the crush on your grains, too. That could also be a culprit for low efficiency.

It may have been to hot 85??
Grains where a week old?
Thanks for info.
Could I put more honey in it??

Yeah, 85 would throw you off. Check out this site for a conversion calculator http://kotmf.com/beer/tools/

You could add the honey, but it would thin out the beer and throw off a pretty balanced recipe. The age of the grains shouldn't matter at a week.

As a wise person said once, malted barley, yeast, and water want to become beer, so don't worry. And as Charlie Papazian says, "relax, don't worry, have a home brew." (RDWHAHB)

Let us know how it turns out!

Bottled beer and beer tasted bad!! Is it maybe i sparged to hot it may have went a little past 170. is that the off taste i hear about??

Back