Hop Spider Awesomeness!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthebackwoods

Reaction score
Why in the world did I wait so long to build a hop spider, is the question I am now asking myself. When I first got a chiller it would always clog and be a frustrating mess. Solution? I bought a screen. Then the screen would clog and still be a frustrating mess. I tried a few different screen types to no avail. I decided I had enough and built a hop spider. Now I don't know how I brewed without one for so long! It cuts an hour of frustration out of my brewday. Highly recommended if you are having similar issues.

What version did you go with. I had a thread earlier and decided on the cheapo 5g paint strainer with 3/8 threaded rods and a PVC 4" coupling. I haven't tried it yet though.

Here's my version !
IMG_1370_zpsacf7ced1.jpg

orion7144 said:
What version did you go with. I had a thread earlier and decided on the cheapo 5g paint strainer with 3/8 threaded rods and a PVC 4" coupling. I haven't tried it yet though.

This is exactly what I did. Check out the photo:

image-1938054285.jpg

I second that. Hop spiders are amazing. First time I used mine... I dumped the hops outside the pvc straight into the pot on a serious brain fart. Much frustration resulted and a couple extra hours of brew day. Beer was still delicious though! Oh, and a big ass hose clamp is the secret to holding that bag onto the pipe, for me at least.

Cheers to the hop spider!

image-2844311517.jpg

image-4027855826.jpg

I'm getting ready to use mine for the first time. For you that use them, am I going to need some sort of weight in the bag? Or will it stay submerged on its own?

I'm getting ready to use mine for the first time. For you that use them, am I going to need some sort of weight in the bag? Or will it stay submerged on its own?

I built one from the BYO article about a year ago. I put several pieces of stainless fittings in a small hop bag to weight the paint strainer down. Only problem I have had so far is using whole hops and getting them through the 3" hole since I used a 4" to 3" reducer for my funnel. Works great though to keep hop debris from clogging my valve and my plate chiller.:mug:

Are there any issues with the plastic paint strainer bags melting or leeching toxins into the brew?

GrogNerd it seems to me that might be a better one than the paint strainers. i have to believe those very fine bags impact the utilization in a big way

I hate to say it, and since my return to brewing i have not yet brewed a beer (meads) but this was never an issue when I brewed previously. I typically used hop plugs, in a 15 gal keggle, and had a CFC. I'd just give the wort a good swirl, let it settle in the middle, and run it out.

Now that I've said that I'm likely doomed.

So if that works for the hops, what do you do to keep the trub from gumming things up?

I was advised by reps at both Lowes and HD not to use PVC for a hop spider because of eventual leaching from the plastic which is directly over the boiling wort. The metal flange was the option they suggested. Unfortunately, neither store had one in stock when I was there last time.

GrogNerd it seems to me that might be a better one than the paint strainers. i have to believe those very fine bags impact the utilization in a big way

I hate to say it, and since my return to brewing i have not yet brewed a beer (meads) but this was never an issue when I brewed previously. I typically used hop plugs, in a 15 gal keggle, and had a CFC. I'd just give the wort a good swirl, let it settle in the middle, and run it out.

Now that I've said that I'm likely doomed.

So if that works for the hops, what do you do to keep the trub from gumming things up?

I'm presuming with your keggle you have a false bottom or screen and using plugs is like using whole hops. they won't gunk up your screen like pellets

as far as my setup, my kettles don't have valve ports, I'm pouring from vessel to vessel.

I just resumed brewing last year after an 17-year hiatus and still working on equipment re-acquisition.

I'm presuming with your keggle you have a false bottom or screen and using plugs is like using whole hops. they won't gunk up your screen like pellets
I did not at the time, was just a 3/4" nipple in the side of the pot

as far as my setup, my kettles don't have valve ports, I'm pouring from vessel to vessel.
Then i can certainly see where this will help!

I just resumed brewing last year after an 17-year hiatus and still working on equipment re-acquisition.
I'm in the same boat. I have a few carboys, some corny kegs, and misc hardware and chems. I have a keggle sitting there waiting for some hardware but its not ready yet. Some wines and meads bubbling away though.

I was trying to figure out the other day how long it has been since I brewed. Like a lot of guys a life change caused me to stop for a while. I've been in KC for 14 years and the last competition I judged was right about then so that's close. I think my last brewing session was at least two years before that. If i can find my divorce papers it should clear things up. :mad:

So back on topic, I'm greatly interested in all this DIY here. I'd never be done if I wanted to build everything so I'm just reading, asking questions, etc..

Instead of the 3 arms like most use, I drilled two holes and insert a piece of copper pipe through it. Slides right out at the end of the brew day. Make the pipe just long enough to sit on the inside of the keggle rim (if you use a keggle).

Doing it this way works great and lets me store it inside the keggle at the end of the day.

2012-02-01_at_19_27_10-52503.jpg

Finished building mine this afternoon. 6" 5/16 bolts, 4-3" reducer, 1 gal paint strainer bag. Thanks for the tips and ideas everyone!!

image-459982805.jpg

Finished building mine this afternoon. 6" 5/16 bolts, 4-3" reducer, 1 gal paint strainer bag. Thanks for the tips and ideas everyone!!

View attachment 103570

I did mine upside down compared to yours. The only reason being is I am scared the bag will come loose and fall in the boil so I did mine so the clamp can not come off and rests on the 4" section.

Attachments

• hop.jpg
    hop.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 764
I might switch directions. I went this way because the bag I'm using is fairly short compared to my BK. If I switch directions, it will because my 7.5gal turkey fryer pot needs more clearance from the spider due to being too full (happens more often than not)

orion7144 said:
I did mine upside down compared to yours. The only reason being is I am scared the bag will come loose and fall in the boil so I did mine so the clamp can not come off and rests on the 4" section.

Well, the bag came off. Will be moving the bolt mounts to the 3" side and tightening bag there as well.

Additionally, this makes a great carboy stand between brews...

I melted my coupler last brew I did. Then the bag slid off and I dumped 5oz of hops in my bk anyhow

So today when I was brewing a 15g brew I stepped away from the pot to get some hops for my last addition and when I came back the spider was in the pot boiling away. Brew was not ruined. Looks like the many uses and hot steam made the PVC coupling jello and it caved in on it self. Lucky I still use a screen too. If yours looks like it is starting to deform then just replace the PVC part as they are cheap.

orion7144 said:
So today when I was brewing a 15g brew I stepped away from the pot to get some hops for my last addition and when I came back the spider was in the pot boiling away. Brew was not ruined. Looks like the many uses and hot steam made the PVC coupling jello and it caved in on it self. Lucky I still use a screen too. If yours looks like it is starting to deform then just replace the PVC part as they are cheap.

Think ill be upgrading to the SS garbage disposal ring for this very reason.

Think ill be upgrading to the SS garbage disposal ring for this very reason.

I bit the bullet and bought one of the stainless brewing all stainless one. If I remember I will post of picture of the one that caved in on itself.

I was looking at those as well. But then I would feel the need to polish my keggle so it is as pretty as the hop strainer

Back