Austin Homebrew Supply Coconut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytemyfoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I ordered the AG kit for this beer and at the same time ordered 3lbs of shredded coconut on Amazon because the reviews on AHS talk about 1.5-3.5lbs of toasted coconut. So, the kit arrived in the mail and it calls for 1lb.

Has anyone tried this kit and can vouch for an appropriate amount of coconut? Also, if the amount I should "dry coconut" with is less, would there be any benefit/detriment to putting some shredded coconut in the mash, boil, or elsewhere?

Thanks all!

I would avoid the mash and boil. Too much flavor loss and possible problems with head retention.

I tried 4 oz in a one gallon test batch. Couldn't even detect the coconut. I would say 2 lbs toasted/5 gallons added after primary. That would be my minimum. Work up from there depending on what part of a Mounds bar you like best, coating or filling.

I added 3 lbs of toasted shaved coconut as well as the meat out of 2 fresh coconuts in the primary after fermentation was complete. It was a really good beer but I still wish I would have used another few pounds of the toasted.

I'm wondering if a coconut flavoring might be a more economical and practical choice. Has anyone tried that?

Back