Priming Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilboy

Reaction score
I'm about to undertake my first brewing and had a quick question -

When priming, can the sugar be added to each individual bottle or does the beer need to be transferred to a new fermenter, then have the sugar added?

In essence, something like this: Primary fermenter -> Secondary -> Third Fermenter (where sugar is added).

I ask because I want to finish with the beer in a fermenter that has a nozzle for bottling. I was given a Brewer's Best kit for xmas and it contains 2 fermenters -one with a nozzle, and one without.

Thanks!

It sounds like what you have is a fermentor and a bottling bucket. Leave in Fermentor for 2-3 weeks.....take a final gravity reading to confirm fermentation is complete, transfer into bottling bucket with sugar/water mixture per the BB kit instructions. Bottle

Okay, so once I move the brew to bottling bucket and add sugar, how soon til I bottle?

I have read that having a secondary fermentor and transferring the beer near the end of the fermentation cycle can yield better results.

Like lik said you need to bottle asap after adding additional sugar as this step is what is making carbonation in your bottles. Secondary is not necessary...wait till you get the process down to worry about that as you will still get great results.

Good Luck!

If you are using a bottling bucket you must bottle immediately after siphoning your beer into there, it's not for aging of any type and it's different from a secondary.

I'm assuming you bought a kit with two buckets, and only one has a spigot. If so, you don't have a secondary so don't worry about it. Do your boil and pour your cooled wort into the non-spigot bucket along with the yeast. Let it sit around 3 weeks (take hydrometer readings). Once you're ready to bottle, add boiled priming sugar to bucket with spigot, siphon fermented beer into same bucket, then bottle immediately. Let beer carbonate in bottles at least 3 weeks at 70* before opening.

Thanks! I'm steeping the grains right now on a German Altbier. Can't wait to see how its gonna turn out.

Back