Late Extract Addition and Hot Break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squigley

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with late extract additions. For my last few batches, I have done late extract additions on all of my beers. I have a couple observations about this:

-When brewing high OG beers, it is difficult to mix in all the ingredients at the last minute.

-I typically boil my wort chiller for the last 15 minutes of the boil. I have typically tried to add all my extract before that point because I was not sure it would mix all the way with the wort chiller in the way.

-I have had several recommendations to add the majority of the extract at flameout, but have avoided doing so because of the above comment.

-It absolutely lightens the color of the beer.

-I am concerned that if I add extract at flameout, it will not go through the "hot break" process. I believe this has an effect on the clarity (and possibly flavor?) of the beer.

Can anyone provide comments/recommendations for my above points? I'm particularly concerned with how people do late extract additions with the wort chiller, and how important the hot break is. I am welcome to any recommendations to improve my process.

I do my late extract additions at flame out while the wort is still 180F+. Don't worry about hot break with extracts. Most of the time,I get very little,since it's been through that in production already. I don't have a wort chiller so I can't comment much on that. Maybe remove it long enough to stir the late additions in. Then put it back in cover & steep.

I've got about 10 brews under my belt and I have added the rest of my extract at flameout. I haven't had a bad batch yet. Typically if I have a 6 gal boil and say 8# of extract... I add 3-4# of extract, then hops, then the rest at flameout.

Yes it lightens the beer to where it's supposed to be on the SRM scale.

As far as the wort chiller keep it out of the boil. It should go on after flameout and when you've moved you pot. I place my pot in a bucket, pack it with ice, then insert my chiller and I cool to below 80 in about 15 min.

Hope all this helps. As always it's just my two cents.

I do the late additions at 20min depending on my hop schedule. I always have my chiller in for at least 10 min to sanitize it.

There is no need to sanitize your wort chiller. Dip it in sanitizer or spray it real quick but you putting it into a boiling hot pot of wort. Instant sanitize.

It's just not needed

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm considering modifying my procedure as follows:

-Leave the wort chiller out of the wort
-Add the majority of the fermentables at flameout, mix vigorously
-Add the wort chiller (my concern here is that adding all the extract at flameout will lower the wort temp, but probably not lower that 160, so I guess the wort chiller will still get sterilized)
-Let sit for a few minutes to ensure there's enough time above 160 to ensure sterilization of the wort chiller
-Chill wort using the wort chiller

I have a similar setup. I recommend that you boil the extract and chiller, for at least a few minutes to fully sanitize them. For Example, I like to stop the boil and the clock, with about 15 mins left, and add the extract with the flameout. Then I turn the gas back on, and start the clock, when it starts boiling add the chiller. Everyone has a different method, but I like this method because it ensures that I sanitized my wort properly.

Back