double infusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
I have maybe 15 AG batches under my belt and am now feeling good about my system, temperatures are being hit consistently, efficency is around 70-73% and I am OK with that, volumes have been pretty close. For this next brew I am planning on a double infusion mash, up to now everything has been just the sach. rest somewhere in the low to mid 150's depending with no mash out. Here are the stats:

Kolsch

12 lb Globalmalt Kolsch malt
3 lb german pilsner
1 lb 8 oz wheat malt
1.5 oz hallertauer @ 60
1.5 tettnang at 30

for the mash, I plan on
3.75 gal @ 132 to rest at 122 for 30 min
then
3.3 gal @ 188 to rest at 150 for 30 min
then
3.3 gal @ 210 to rest at 168 for 10 min

sparge slow until I have about 12 gal in the kettle

est. OG 1.046

My question may be a simple one but I have never done steps before

Do you stir the crap out of the mash as the water is added at each step? After agitating the mash ( specificly in the last 168 step) I would think that it wouldn't have time to properly settle before the sparge starts.

thanks
-ander

Based on my decoction experience (haven't done non-direct fired step mashes), you do need to stir mash when adding hot water, but I don't think you need to stir the crap out of it. Just a good stir to get the hot water to distribute throughout the mash. Hot always moves towards cold, so the mash would eventually come to an equilibrium temperature even if you didn't stir... you're just trying to expedite that and prevent hot spots from sitting too long.

I'm not sure about your temp steps though. You might consider low 130s to mid/upper 150s, then to mash-out. That 122 step might reduce head retention depending on your malt. Unless you have the malt analysis to indicate otherwise, I would assume it to have a higher Soluble Nitrogen Ratio than is good for a 122 step.

to tell you the truth, the 122 step is what is recommended by beersmith under the mash profile "double infusion, light body". Maybe I will just skip the whole thing and stick with what I know until I mash with more than 9% adjuncts.

thanks

Back