Ending gravity too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneADemBrews

Reaction score
My latest brew is a belgian style wheat beer that's called orange blondie. i store my feremeters in the basement which is around 59-60F. I have not had any problems before, but this beer finished fermenting in 2 days. the og was 1.062 and the current fg is 1.027. Way too high. I pitched another batch of yeast last night, and this afternoon i moved the fermenter upstairs where it is warmer in hopes that the yeast went dormant. Any comments or suggestions? Anyone else have a similar problem?

How do you know the beer finished in two days? If the gravity was only at 1.027 did you wait another few days to see if it had dropped or did you just assume because there were no more bubbles it was done, panicked and pitched more yeast?

Airlock activity tells you nothing more than your beer is pushing out CO2 and fermentation gasses, it does not tell you anything else, only gravity readings do. My guess is it was not done, especially after 2 days.

As was already asked, we would need more info to fully answer your question but my best guess is if you give it another week to 10 days the gravity will have dropped to the desired FG or close.

its an extract and partial mash. 6 1/2 lbs wheat lme, 1 lb wheat dme, and the partial mash was 1 lb instant oatmeal, 1 lb 6 row, 1 lb light caramel malt (uk). i tried to keep the temp around 150 for 60 mins. i feel like maybe i screwed up with the temp of the mash, the pot is not the largest and there was a lot of grains in it. hops were: 1 1/2 oz east kent, 1/2 warrior. yeast was safbrew s-33 dry. the airlock stopped bubbling and the water evened out after two days, i let it sit for 2 weeks before taking a reading.

Based on the limited information, I would suspect it got too cold. If ther fermenter is on a concrete floor, the wort/beer will be colder than the air temperature.

Moving it was the right thing to do.

Latest posts

Back