Is there enough RYE in my recipe to be noticed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goin2brew

Reaction score
This is my first brew with rye and I figured to start with 10% but I am getting a feeling I should have started with 15%. What are your thoughts on this??

Its a Rye IPA

6 Gal Batch
75% eff.
Actual OG = 1.063
IBU's = 80.4
SRM = 9.4
Mash @158 for 75mins.
Mash out @170
Batch Sparge @170

80.7% Pale Malt (2Row) 11.5LB
10.5% Rye Malt 1.50LB
5.3% Crystal 60L 0.75LB
3.5% Amber Malt 0.50LB

Cascade 7.3%AA (.40oz FWH/.35oz 15min/.25oz DH)
Chinook 11.1%AA (.40oz FWH/.35oz 15min/.25oz DH)
Simcoe 13%AA (.40oz FWH/.35oz 15min/.25oz DH)
Centennial 9.7%AA (.60oz @60mins)

Fermentation - Nottingham @64 degrees x7 days.
Dry Hop - 1 week (I'm debating on throwing in the rest of the centennial for the dry hop.)

Priming bottles with calculated 2.5 volumes of CO2.

That should be more than enough. I recently made a Belgian Rye IPA with 2 lbs of rye (12.5% of grist) and it was a little too pronounced for me and took away from the rest of the beer. That may have been partly due to the Belgian yeast though.

I have made a rye stout in the past with only 1 lb of flaked rye in a 13 lb grain bill and it was hardly perceptible. My thoughts are that it isn't a certain percentage of your grain bill that should be rye, but what the rest of your grain bill looks like and how dry you plan to finish.

Just take good notes and adjust the next batch accordingly.

This is for a local beer competition where the specialty malt is rye. I never brewed with rye before so I didn't want to over do it, but I fear I may have played it too safe. Either way, it should turn out to be a very drinkable beer :D

how pronounced rye will be depends on how much else is going on. with less than 1lb of crystal60, the rye could be a prominent part of the malt flavor.

the best way to get a feel for the contribution would be to make an identical control batch (replace the rye with 2row) and see what you think.

i made denny's ryePA and just did a black ryePA with 20%. i didn't find either to be dominated by rye.

Back