Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeygreg44

Reaction score
I am going to bottle my first batch of beer tomorrow morning so I decided to get a head start on cleaning and sanitizing my bottles. I clean/de-labeled them in b-brite and I am running them in the dishwasher right now. I heard that if you are not going to use the bottle right away that you should cover them in plastic wrap. Is this step necessary? I am planning on rinsing the bottles again in sanitizing solution right before I fill them. Any advice???

After recycling bottles with PBW solution,They get rinsed & hung on my bottle tree to dry. I then store them in covered boxes till needed. Then I fill the vinator half full of star-san & give each bottle 5 pumps. Then back onto the tree & start filling/capping.
So yes,you can Clean,rinse,& dry them whenever. Then sanitize with star-san right before use.

If you're relying on the dishwasher to actually clean the interior of the bottles, you would be wise to plan another round of washing. The mouths are too small to get much water in the bottles -- much less clean them.

Nothing beats a bottle brush and some elbow grease.

Ive gotten into the habit of rinsing mine well right after use, this way cleaning/sanitizing on bottling day is quick and easy.

I rinse out my bottles right after I empty the beer out of them. If there's one that doesn't rinse clean, chuck it. I don't think I've ever scrubbed out the inside of a bottle. No need. Sanitize before refilling.

if your bottles are clean, the dishwasher will do. just leave it shut till you bottle. i clean my bottles and set them in my dirty ass basement then just fill a bucket with iodophor and dunk em for about 2 mins before emptying them and filling them. no problems.

Back